Possible shark tooth from red chalk, Speeton, Yorkshire?

viator

Hi all,

Is this a shark tooth? I found it in the red chalk at Speeton, Yorkshire. It’s about 1cm in length.

Thanks!      

Gillian

tooth1.jpg

tooth2.jpg

Yes, that is a shark's tooth. Cool find :)

Maybe the shark-experts on this forum can narrow it down to a certain type of shark.

Very nice contrast between the matrix and fossil! That matrix would probably make good sidewalk chalk for the kiddos.

Thanks all! It would be great to know what species of shark is came from.

The weathered parts of the rock were easily to just break away with your fingers and a chisel. But the stuff underneath was pretty hard. After reading some old literature on the red chalk, shark teeth are apparently very common! Problem is they’re pretty fragmentary. I broke a few when using a hammer and chisel to split the chalk apart. Luckily, this one had weathered and was visible on the surface. 

Thanks, @doushantuo:) Is that just for the Speeton clay though? The tooth was found in the red chalk which is above the A beds of the Speeton clay. Would they both have the same species of shark?

Many thanks!

I have not read the PDF I posted (yet),nor the several pieces by Underwood on the selachian fauna of Northeast England.

Synechodus,Chiloscyllium cf Greeni,Cretascyllium,sp,Pararhincodon cg lehmanni,Cretoxyrhina mantelli,Parasymblolus reticularis

are named by Underwood as occurring in the Huntington Beds

Underwood(about 600 Kb):

1475-4983.00074.pdf

Archived