Edmontosaurus rib(s) prep

DevonianDigger

So I've been working on what I thought originally was 1 Edmontosaurus rib. It has since turned out to be what appears to be an opposing pair of ribs. I thought I would share some of my photos as I go. Please be kind to me, as this is my first vertebrate prep work.

Photo I took upon arrival.

000.jpeg.aee83e1260815640b65b017073bfcb00.jpeg

First rib, top 1/2 complete

003.jpeg.6b1e911557bea0c602766d40e1c98879.jpeg

Top 1/2 with a seemingly extraneous tip, or other unrelated bone. (Not sure.)

005.jpeg.8141143f57161724873141ba9cfcc917.jpeg

Working on the head end of the 2nd rib:

006.jpeg.d10ff0977024a8971b19af2264d53e16.jpeg007.jpeg.24e157bf09d4a1fa549380c6ab1e88ca.jpeg008.jpeg.7bb91e1ac5c2b838d5b4571d8b70ec48.jpeg009.jpeg.d6267264ed08108010ce1e005bb63475.jpeg010.jpeg.55c74a20d0b1edfbfc3a08f9e003929f.jpeg011.jpeg.386011f87bbebbf49620dd9e00cdfb81.jpeg012.jpeg.52b0defe7c121836054bcb126c077d3e.jpeg018.jpeg.f4e9218b70c44cb1344d48127606592d.jpeg

Matching the other remaining unprepped halves

015.jpeg.a4820763712c985e3b16dcb80f99d40f.jpeg

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

You are doing a fine job.  When I find Edmontosaurus ribs at a quarry in SD and always pass them on to the other guys that are with me.  I applaud you since I don't have the patience to extract or work on them.  Good luck.

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

You are doing a fine job.  When I find Edmontosaurus ribs at a quarry in SD and always pass them on to the other guys that are with me.  I applaud you since I don't have the patience to extract or work on them.  Good luck.

Thank you! I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with them, and am interested in getting my hands on more if you come across any you're willing to sell!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

10 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Thank you! I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with them, and am interested in getting my hands on more if you come across any you're willing to sell!

Okay

Cool project! Always a treat when you find an extra fossil in the matrix!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Now unfortunately, since I have more than one bone from it, I will likely spend the rest of my life trying to collect the entire dinosaur, individual bone by individual bone. :ighappy:

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

Now unfortunately, since I have more than one bone from it, I will likely spend the rest of my life trying to collect the entire dinosaur, individual bone by individual bone. :ighappy:

I can think of worse ways of spending ones life.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

10 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

OK, i will support - here's one :bone:  ;)

19 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Sort of like Radar O’Reilly from M*A*S*H who shipped a whole Jeep home from Korea one piece at a time (apologies to all you whippersnappers who are too young to know what I am talking about).

Shut up first prep job this is going really well then likely you have previous experience in prep but for first vertebrae piece it looks really nice are you thinking maybe display them side by side once finished?, I also wish i could get my hands on some edmontosaurus pieces :ighappy:

19 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Shut up first prep job this is going really well then likely you have previous experience in prep but for first vertebrae piece it looks really nice are you thinking maybe display them side by side once finished?, I also wish i could get my hands on some edmontosaurus pieces :ighappy:

I'm not sure how I'm going to display them just yet. I am thinking about trying to figure out approximately where in the beast they would have been located, and trying to find a similarly-located vertebrae so that I can display them kinda like this:  ( * ) on the wall. ...That is until I get the rest of the dino, lol!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

that was my exact thoughts when I picked up two spinosauridae ribs, sadly I don't think many more complete ones will come about....edmontosaurus on the other hand is a relatively common fossilized dinosaur so this shouldn't be a problem.:dinothumb:

53 minutes ago, Haravex said:

that was my exact thoughts when I picked up two spinosauridae ribs, sadly I don't think many more complete ones will come about....edmontosaurus on the other hand is a relatively common fossilized dinosaur so this shouldn't be a problem.:dinothumb:

Spinosauridae ribs would be a heck of a find. Congrats on that! I like Spinosauridae very much, it's a bummer that they are as scarce as they are, I would love to collect some of those pieces. I will just have to make do with the teeth :/

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Nice job Jay. I trust you are using the wheat paste glue like we had in kindergarten. That'll hold it all together well. :wacko:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 4/24/2018 at 9:44 PM, DevonianDigger said:

Pokemonosaurus? :P 

You're doing very well stabilizing this one. :dinothumb: It's definitely a whole other dance tune from preparing inverts. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived