killerfrost1020

okay, so I know absolutely nothing about fossils or anything or the sort. With that said, I have had this....thing for over 10 years now and have searched high and low for answers. I've posted to many communities seeking something. What. Is. It. Or any ideas what it could be or send me in the direction to figure it out. I'm a research major and this is driving me insane not being able to find answers. I'm going to post the best picture I have of it. Please don't be hateful if you don't know or if this isn't the place to ask, just say so and I'll ask else where, I'm just basically asking anywhere I can. Thanks in advance! 

IMG_20180424_204913.jpg

1 hour ago, killerfrost1020 said:

okay, so I know absolutely nothing about fossils or anything or the sort. With that said, I have had this....thing for over 10 years now and have searched high and low for answers. I've posted to many communities seeking something. What. Is. It. Or any ideas what it could be or send me in the direction to figure it out. I'm a research major and this is driving me insane not being able to find answers. I'm going to post the best picture I have of it. Please don't be hateful if you don't know or if this isn't the place to ask, just say so and I'll ask else where, I'm just basically asking anywhere I can. Thanks in advance! 

Which object in this photo are you curious about? I can't see anything suggesting fossil, do you have a way to take other pictures focusing more on said object?

Haha, this is why I said I wasn't even sure if I was posting in the right spot. I don't even believe it's a fossil of any kind, and yes, before anyone points it out, I know this is a fossil forum. I'm desperate to find an answer, so basically thought someone would know someone who might know something. 

24 minutes ago, Kane said:

How big is it?

Looks like a rock gone through a tumbler.

Wouldn't the tumbler have to be huge though ? This thing is at least 30 pounds and like 10 inches long or more. 

1 hour ago, killerfrost1020 said:

When posting here @TFF, you do not need to worry about hateful comments. These are some of the most professional people I've worked with. As to your object, I haven't got a clue. Its definitely interesting.

...I'm back.

Just now, Raggedy Man said:

When posting here @TFF, you do not need to worry about hateful comments. These some of yhe most professional people I've worked with. As to your object, I haven't got a clue. Its definitely interesting.

Oh good, you never know with people these days unfortunately....

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

It looks like polished marble, to me.  :headscratch:

What are the dimensions?

Do you know anything about where it came from?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, may we have a couple more pics in better light and maybe a ruler for scale?

It does look like a sculpted and polished stone. Maybe it was a type of decorative stone. I have seen similar stones for decoration in Asian markets. 

Where was it found or do you know where it originated?

You have a polished rock. There is a large industry that produces these types of decorative polished rocks in all sizes, from many types of rock.

It is hard to identify the type of rock that was used to make Yours.

IMG_1023.JPG.0acec9e2f3daec64113be59637ef1002.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG.0882f86cb53807025d648d670c46b474.JPG

Pictures from @Troodon's thread about the Tucson rock show this year.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I think you have one of the lost Shankara stones. I suspect Indiana Jones will be looking for it.

Hello and welcome to the fossil forums:). To me it also looks like one of those polished rocks, they are mainly for decorative purposes. And don't worry, no one is going to give you hateful comments on TFF just because you posted on the wrong thread or something like that.

Regards, indominus rex

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Guys! Yall are awesome. I don't know much about it....a friend of mine about 10 years ago, inherited it from his mother who passed away. It was sitting in a corner collecting dust and I loved it, so he just gave it to me, stool and pillow included for it. I don't know where his mom got it from, but throughout her house, there were antiques from varies places. She had a bunch of unique things I'd never seen. Curiosity just got the best of me and no one seemed to know. The polished Rock idea sounds logical to me. I also was wondering what would happen if it was cracked open.. thanks for all the responses! I'll try to take more pics in a bit. It's hard to move around, it's so heavy. Give me a bit and I'll move it around and what not for y'all. 

10 hours ago, ynot said:

You have a polished rock. There is a large industry that produces these types of decorative polished rocks in all sizes, from many types of rock.

Nice shootin' Tony!
You're always there to help someone out.  :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

12 hours ago, Auspex said:

Nice shootin' Tony!
You're always there to help someone out.  :)

Thanks Chas, I try to follow Your excellent example.:D

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 4/24/2018 at 10:00 PM, ynot said:

IMG_1023.JPG.0acec9e2f3daec64113be59637ef1002.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG.0882f86cb53807025d648d670c46b474.JPG

Pictures from @Troodon's thread about the Tucson rock show this year.

One of these stones was my first thought as well.

Archived