Sunday's finds

Nientje

Sunday's find. Many fossils. I wasn't really prepared to go on a hunt so these were all found at the base of an outcropping. Some slabs with fossils too. Impossible to move. 

I also ran into a person who collects rocks and he shared a rock he found at the Deschutes River. Looks like petrified wood but on the sides it looks like it could be bone. I put these pictures here too. Going to try to clean some of these up and get the twigs out in one piece later this week. 

20180424_161728.jpg

20180424_161951.jpg

20180424_161802.jpg

20180424_162016.jpg

20180424_161821.jpg

20180424_161658.jpg

20180424_161710.jpg

20180424_161737.jpg

20180424_161812.jpg

Nice finds. I don't think that piece is bone. Could be wood, but I'm not so sure about that either. Were there any other erratic glacial stones lying around, then it looks like it could also be some kind of metamorphic rock ?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On the first image it looks a lot like fossilized wood, I had a piece of fossilized wood that looked a lot like that one only that it was crystallized. I don't see any characteristics of a bone ,so to me it's wood.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Those are some impressive veggies! Where's the salad bar that has these on the menu? :P :plant:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

11 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice finds. I don't think that piece is bone. Could be wood, but I'm not so sure about that either. Were there any other erratic glacial stones lying around, then it looks like it could also be some kind of metamorphic rock ?

I am not sure if there was. I ran into this person when looking for fossils not close to this river. I was looking for fossils and he arrived and we got to talking and he gave it to me. I will try to find out. I am wondering too. Since it really doesn't look like petrified wood when seeing it from a side view. 

It pays to run into nice people, he told me of another area as well where he found many fossils and he thinks not many people know of the spot.. so crossing my fingers on that one. This area has a lot of fossils that are 'broken'. But still rewarding. 

17 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

On the first image it looks a lot like fossilized wood, I had a piece of fossilized wood that looked a lot like that one only that it was crystallized. I don't see any characteristics of a bone ,so to me it's wood.

Yes, and the 4th picture is the side view from that same piece.. that is why I wonder... Sorry.. I thought they were both together.. I uploaded the pictures and post from my phone.. and it seems I can't figure out how to put it better together now.. 

Anyhow picture 2 and 4 are the same piece.. 

I'll take that back about the metamorphic rock now that I know that pic 3 is also the same piece. I could now imagine that this is a piece of bark on marly limestone.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I'll take that back about the metamorphic rock now that I know that pic 3 is also the same piece. I could now imagine that this is a piece of bark on marly limestone.

Thank you! I will go on my regular computer later and see if I can still move some things around or clarify. It seems to be impossible on my phone. 

11 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Those are some impressive veggies! Where's the salad bar that has these on the menu? :P :plant:

Washington State.. follow the road with potholes the size of small moon craters. :)  For real!

15 minutes ago, Nientje said:

Washington State.. follow the road with potholes the size of small moon craters. :)  For real!

Which road? :headscratch:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Some really nice leaf fossils! 

Good finds! :)

The other thing looks like wood to me. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

did I miss what time period these might be from...my bucket list of plant impressions is getting bigger all the time. I have yet to find my first...need to go look in Alabama I guess. Only thing I found close to plant material in my fossil hunting areas, are fossilized pieces of mangrove stems....have several of those. LOL, but they are not nearly as beautiful as are leaf and fern impressions...great job. 

15 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

did I miss what time period these might be from...my bucket list of plant impressions is getting bigger all the time. I have yet to find my first...need to go look in Alabama I guess. Only thing I found close to plant material in my fossil hunting areas, are fossilized pieces of mangrove stems....have several of those. LOL, but they are not nearly as beautiful as are leaf and fern impressions...great job. 

No, you did't miss the time period, all I know is that they are from the tertiary period, so between 1 and 60 million years old. I will try to find out in more detail but this location is not listed as a fossil site anywhere online. At least I haven't found it, so I need to figure out what this site belongs to etc. to narrow it down. I never been in Alabama.. maybe visit Washington. There are many fossil sites although many of the ones online seem to be 'dried up' when I went there. :) I found these by just looking at my pictures from past hikes and figured this area could contain fossils and it did!!! I am a seasoned hiker, but I slowed down a little now I have done almost all 'good hikes' on this side of the Cascades in Washington State, and I am now revisiting places and area's I hiked before, trying to locate fossils. I use my memory, logic thinking and pictures from all the hikes over the years to trigger my memory and try to remember if there were rock formations that could contain fossils.. :) It is working though! I have many more sites on my radar. Some will be a miss but hopefully some will be the real deal. :) I hope to go back to this general area this coming weekend and try to find the river I was told about..  it is supposed to have better specimens than this site.. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

I am very impressed with the preservation of that first leaf fossil. It would make a fine and beautiful addition for anyone's collection. Congratulations and thanks for sharing it. 

sounds great, I am envious...and personally disappointed that at 72 my knees don't take the hiking like they used to, or I'd visit a friend who lives near Glacier National park...she owns several acres on a mountainside, and has found fossils on it, though she isn't a hunter. Guess I'd better plan a trip. Thanks for the info. 

Archived