JarrodB

I went on a 6 1/2 mile kayak adventure with a couple of friends on the North Sulphur River. We started off the day at 7AM by seeing 2 bald eagles and almost getting one truck stuck in the mud. We managed to get the truck out and started our adventure. As soon as I got down by the bridge I found one of my best artifacts to date and a nice piece of mastodon tooth enamel.  We got a mile or so in and something made me ask my friend if he had the keys to his truck that was parked 6 1/2 miles downstream? Lol he had left them in the other truck without thinking. He went back and got his keys and the adventure begin. We saw very little footprints the entire trip. We didn't find many artifacts but I filled up a 1 gallon ziplock with mosasaur bones and other random fossils. One of my friends found his first shark vert, mosasaur vert and point so he was really excited. I gave my new hunter friend all  my lower quality items and didn't bother taking pics of them. The water was low in some places so we had to drag the kayaks a lot but it was fun. We were finding so much stuff that we realized we would never make it the other vehicle before night if we did not quit hunting and paddle. It was so hard passing by untouched bars lol. We managed to make it back to the bridge by 7PM which was 12 hours later. Getting the kayaks up the steep bridge at the second location took all 3 men and a long rope. I got home at 9:30 PM. I'm sore but found some great fossils and artifacts. My phone died early in the trip so I missed out on some great pics. For some reason I can only post a few pics at a time since the latest update. :(

31195621_964550027059178_210974518770925568_n.jpg

30171430_10209836500589680_4092774204120431673_o.jpg

30420437_10209836606152319_8544536078733899707_o.jpg

30856766_10209836605432301_2185667587664505028_o.jpg

30167537_10209836604832286_3108882170892883013_o.jpg

Nice haul Jarrod! Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

im so envious. In Florida a law has been passed that you have to leave native american artifacts in situ...makes no sense to me. How are archiologists supposed to advance their knowledge of ancient cultures. On the  apalachicola river I found pieces of pottery with distinctive scratch marks on it...I took numerous photos, but left it. In researching the finds, I discovered that such kinds of pottery are considered paleo-indian, and remain from pre-spanish discovery. So cool...Wish i had pocketed it, but then I also couldn't tell anyone else about it. Such a mixed bag. It must make sense for  someone, just not me. So I am envious of your beautiful artifacts, and fossils as well. Fortunately, Florida still allows us to pick those up, though you do need a permit for vertebrates. l

• I found this Informative 1

Nice work man! Is that long tooth ice age material?

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Just now, John S. said:

Nice work man! Is that long tooth ice age material?

Thanks. Yes it's Ice Age. I think it's horse.

1 hour ago, dalmayshun said:

im so envious. In Florida a law has been passed that you have to leave native american artifacts in situ...makes no sense to me. How are archiologists supposed to advance their knowledge of ancient cultures. On the  apalachicola river I found pieces of pottery with distinctive scratch marks on it...I took numerous photos, but left it. In researching the finds, I discovered that such kinds of pottery are considered paleo-indian, and remain from pre-spanish discovery. So cool...Wish i had pocketed it, but then I also couldn't tell anyone else about it. Such a mixed bag. It must make sense for  someone, just not me. So I am envious of your beautiful artifacts, and fossils as well. Fortunately, Florida still allows us to pick those up, though you do need a permit for vertebrates. l

Yeah Texas is getting bad also. They are really strict on lakes etc.

2 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Thanks. Yes it's Ice Age. I think it's horse.

Nice! That looks extremely long

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Looks like you had a fun (and productive) trip!  I haven't see the NSR with that much water in it for quite some time.  Somebody needs to invent a kayak with tank-style treads on the bottom for places like the North Sulphur River! 

-Joe 

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

18 minutes ago, John S. said:

Nice! That looks extremely long

I have a couple of huge ones I should post. Solid rock.

2 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Looks like you had a fun (and productive) trip!  I haven't see the NSR with that much water in it for quite some time.  Somebody needs to invent a kayak with tank-style treads on the bottom for places like the North Sulphur River! 

-Joe 

Thanks Joe

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Nice haul Jarrod! Congratulations! 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Pemphix said:

nice haul !

Thanks 

Nice finds man! That point is killlller! What's the black rectangular thing with the two holes? Must be really old.  LOL I get those out of the creek every time i find them... the tape makes a real mess.

3 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

-Joe 

I've got something really close....  yamaha Grizzly 700. NSR is a whole new level of fun with the quads.

quads nsr.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

37 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

That is AWESOME! Definitely taking a trip to nsr one day.

Thanks 

Noice! :dinothumb:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

A great collection! 

Good work, some really nice pieces. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 hours ago, Bone guy said:

That is AWESOME! Definitely taking a trip to nsr one day.

Thanks