hello friend i found new fossil to identify

kbodyboard

hello freinds today i found tgis fossil in sahara i can t identify but i think the one is a ptychodus teeth but i can confirm it plase if you can helo me.

IMG-20180425-WA0017.jpg

2018425_13916502.jpg

IMG-20180424-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20180424-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20180424-WA0009.jpg

1st pic. Boney fish mouth plate ( for crushing food), 2nd pic. Sting ray tail barb, 3rd Sand tiger teeth, 4th &5th is your ptychodus tooth.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

15 minutes ago, caldigger said:

1st pic. Boney fish mouth plate

I think he has an associated Ptychodus set!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think it's a pycnodont mouth plate. 

Great finds! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It looks more pycnodont to me as well, either way an amazing set of finds!

Someday I must get out to Morocco!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great finds. Any chance we could get better straight on pictures of the first one, the set of teeth @kbodyboard

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

10 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Great finds. Any chance we could get better straight on pictures of the first one, the set of teeth @kbodyboard

With a size scale, please.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I think there's more to this still there.

It would be to your benefit to try and avoid damaging it further.

With as much of the ptcodont that you recovered there may be all of it there.

Jess b

6 hours ago, kbodyboard said:

if you know how I can do plaster of foosils

That's a nice find. You don't want to ruin it, so don't tamper with it if you don't know what you're doing. Please show us better pictures with scale, as already requested.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 4/25/2018 at 12:36 PM, kbodyboard said:

IMG-20180425-WA0017.jpg

Here is one I picked up at the Tucson show several years back for comparison.

It's either that or some really old corn on the cob. :P

20180428_134325.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Pychodus pollei - I've never heard of this species. :headscratch:

Ok, I've found the species (from the link I've posted in the topic below).

Kriwet_2005c.thumb.jpg.8bb5a2e19556de2e336e845248c89249.jpg

Ok, It was misspelled on the label. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I've not been able to find anything about a picnodont with this complex a topography:

~~.jpg

They all seem to have fairly simple buttons.

I also have the impression that these are pretty large, and they do not appear to be attached to a mouthplate.

34 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I've not been able to find anything about a picnodont with this complex a topography:

~~.jpg

I also have the impression that these are pretty large, and they do not appear to be attached to a mouthplate.

Auspex, are you saying that you cannot tell if the teeth are attached to bone of the fish? Do you think that the group of teeth might have been placed into a fabricated mouth plate? I guess a better close-up photo might enable us to see bone texture surrounding the teeth.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The picture has not enough details for a more precise ID. Once again, can we have better, close-up pictures of them?
BTW, where exactly were they found?

Also, this publication might be helpful.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

50 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Auspex, are you saying that you cannot tell if the teeth are attached to bone of the fish? Do you think that the group of teeth might have been placed into a fabricated mouth plate? I guess a better close-up photo might enable us to see bone texture surrounding the teeth.

It looks like matrix where teeth are displaced. For a picnodont plate, there should be a bone plate there.

I propose that they are in-situ, and that they were originally attached to a cartilage jaw that did not preserve, but held the teeth in original position long enough to fix them in the overburden matrix before decomposing (with the space filled in as it did).

In short, I am still suggesting that it may be a ptychodus fossil.

Oh, brain just made an idea (first time it’s done that in a while!), perhaps Lepidotes?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I have the feeling (I may be wrong) that people are confusing  Pycnodus with Ptychodus

They're not at all the same! As a reminder to everyone:

• Pycnodus: ray-finned fish with button-like teeth
  • Ptychodus: big shark with shell-crushing dentition (knobs with wavy lines)

Now the amazing mouth plate that I see here is very likely from a pycnodont (of the Pycnodus family) fish, as others have already said. Superb find!

IMG-20180425-WA0017.thumb.jpg.27c7a16730938bca50472b8a9bc1a643.jpg.557447930580ec98509bcf616be2e9b7.jpg

The teeth here are:

• Red: Odontaspidae indet. (I am not gonna try to go deeper than that due to my inexperience with shark teeth)
  • Blue: requiem sharks, Carcharhinus sp
  • Green: stingray barb
  • Orange: Ptychodus tooth

IMG-20180424-WA0015.thumb.jpg.f0c4d0daa865b9714992d196132a213f_LI.jpg.6bcf3d88f10b3b03a7d60dbd505e8550.jpg

Fantastic finds by the way!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

16 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Oh, brain just made an idea (first time it’s done that in a while!),

Wow! What a rare event indeed! Must feel weird, huh? :P:ighappy:

(Just kidding of course ;) )

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

people are confusing  Pycnodus with Ptychodus

I am cognizant of the distinction, and am proposing we consider the possibility that it is the shell-crushing shark.

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Wow! What a rare event indeed! Must feel weird, huh? :P:ighappy:

(Just kidding of course ;) )

Yeah, a completely alien sensation!:D

Here is a lepidotes dentition (though from the Jurassic). The teeth are simple but in a ptychodus-like jaw. Lepidotes are known from Morocco. 

FD28F6F5-6578-4293-B77A-8C7ADE8F2254.jpeg

Posted previously on TFF by @Troodon

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 4/28/2018 at 3:10 PM, Auspex said:

~~.jpg

On 4/28/2018 at 4:42 PM, Auspex said:

It looks like matrix where teeth are displaced. For a picnodont plate, there should be a bone plate there.

I propose that they are in-situ, and that they were originally attached to a cartilage jaw that did not preserve, but held the teeth in original position long enough to fix them in the overburden matrix before decomposing (with the space filled in as it did).

In short, I am still suggesting that it may be a ptychodus fossil.

+1

Archived