My own "museum"

Ramo

I wanted to wait for my "Shop" to be completely done before showing it here.   Due to the fact that my oldest child will be graduating high school next month, and my shop will soon be turned in to a graduation party area I have decided to go ahead and show it unfinished. 

I have always loved science museums, so I decided to just make my own in my own yard.  Last summer I put up a 30X50 "pole barn", put in a wood floor and walls, and now I have my own museum.  Almost everything in here was collected by myself or my family.  This collection is 90% Kansas stuff, but the last photo of the rikers and the glass case is what I call my "exotic" section.  All of the stuff there is from other states that I either found myself, or with the aid of fellow Fossil Forum members.  (A bunch of my Texas stuff is from the Waco trip that a lot of members went on many  years ago.) 

There is also a prep room with a window (just like all the cool museums) in the corner.  Its already a mess, but I hope to keep the mess confined to that area!

I still have some work to do, and I doubt it will ever be completely done, but if any of you ever find yourself driving across Kansas I'm only about 20 minutes off of I-70, and if I'm home, you are welcome to stop by.  I may even point you to a spot or two where you can find some of your own fossils around here.

001.JPG

001 (2).JPG

002.JPG

006 (2).JPG

004 (2).JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

009.JPG

007.JPG

• I found this Informative 27

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

How absolutely marvelous! :)

That's a splendid job, beautifully created. 

I love the space and the light, as well as the wonderful specimens of course. 

Hope i can pay a visit one day! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Dude! Dang! This is too cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Your contributions to other museum and research collections are renown on TFF...glad to see you have your own.  

:) 

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for the kind words. 

John,  This display with donation letters and photos of stuff I have donated is one of my favorite things to look at.

Notice I left room for more in it!

Ramo

011.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

-Aldo Leopold

This. Is. AWESOME! :D 

Way to go, Ramo!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What a delightful place to visit!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Just a couple of questions.

What did you say you charge for admission? And is there a souvenir shop at the the exit?

Superlative setup.  Everything is easy to view, not crammed in every nook like my house.  Don’t show my wife!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Fantastic Ramo great fossil , great displays in an interesting setting. Good work..

Excellent presentation, Ramo! I think you might be in a position to charge admission. :D Your use of space is inspired, and I like the mix of the very orderly and the interesting eccentric accents that truly personalize this space. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sorry about the quality of my photos.  I forgot to change my camera settings.  Let me know if anyone wants a specific photo of anything re-done so it can be seen!

No admission, other than admitting that you might be a weird as I am when it comes to fossils.

My goal is to get everything out where it can be seen and not in storage.  Due to getting my stuff out and going through everything, I have quite a pile of stuff that I need to get rid of.  So although there is no gift shop, anyone that does come by is sure to leave with a bunch of free stuff.

-Aldo Leopold

Wow! That's stupendous!!! I'll let you know next time we're traveling down I-70. Definitely want to make a stop!!!

Very cool room, are those guns on the wall in the second to last photo?

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

This is absolutely awesome!!!

Doing something of this style is one of my dreams or goals for the future, so to see that a fellow TFF member managed to do it so well it gives me even more hope and envy to do mine :D 

Thanks for sharing, I loved the virtual tour, and hopefully one day I'll be able to come around to say hi! 

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, aplomado said:

Soo.... where's the wet bar???

Awesome work!  Looks great!

Its in the second photo way back in the corner just past the Ping-Pong table!

53 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Very cool room, are those guns on the wall in the second to last photo?

That corner is my "physical science" corner.  I used to teach middle school through high school science, and am still a huge science nerd.  That corner still has quite a bit of work for me to do.  The big "gun" is a PVC air cannon my son and I made.  It is designed to short ears of corn, but it will shoot anything you can cram down the barrel.  The other one is a PVC  air soft "machine gun" my son and I made.  Shoots a bunch of plastic BB's quickly,  with little to no accuracy, but is a blast to shoot!

• I found this Informative 2

-Aldo Leopold

Wow Ramo, this great! I'll have to stop by next time I'm out west! Come to think of it, I probably should have a long time ago! I might be out there in late May. I'll also be doing some work for the University of Michigan in the chalk later this summer and we may have a couple groups coming down to visit the chalk . 

What are your favorite pieces? Do you have any closeups of those larger specimens mounted on the back wall? I remember seeing your pliosaur in the collection at FHSU!

-Kris