Peat Burns

Species List Paulding Fossil Gardens

fogo26

Hello, any idea what this could be? From Paulding about 2 weeks ago. I've checked everything on the list and nothing is coming up similar. Im assuming some sort of bryozoan or coral. It's about a square inch in size. The surface has larger bumps on it and then on the whole thing there's tiny little holes in it. Any help is appreciated since I'm stumped on this one.IMG_8324.thumb.jpg.58f27ee1287bea46e2c07c7f0e755c72.jpgIMG_7861.thumb.JPG.6d35410402d22cb74ef10aab3d3297dc.JPG

Thanks, 

Connor

Peat Burns
15 minutes ago, fogo26 said:

Hello, any idea what this could be? From Paulding about 2 weeks ago. I've checked everything on the list and nothing is coming up similar. Im assuming some sort of bryozoan or coral. It's about a square inch in size. The surface has larger bumps on it and then on the whole thing there's tiny little holes in it. Any help is appreciated since I'm stumped on this one.

IMG_8324.thumb.jpg.58f27ee1287bea46e2c07c7f0e755c72.jpgIMG_7861.thumb.JPG.6d35410402d22cb74ef10aab3d3297dc.JPG

Thanks, 

Connor

Yes, that does appear to be a bryozoan.  Due to the specific techniques required to confidently identify most bryozoans (thin sections, acetate peels, microscopy) I haven't yet made a formal attempt to classify most of the bryozoa there.  You can probably get many of them to genus from external features.  The Michigan Basin Fossils Database online is a good place to start.  The bumps are called monticules.  The pores or zoecia are where the individual animals (zooids) on the colony lived.  Hope this helps.