Species List Paulding Fossil Gardens

Peat Burns

Hello, any idea what this could be? From Paulding about 2 weeks ago. I've checked everything on the list and nothing is coming up similar. Im assuming some sort of bryozoan or coral. It's about a square inch in size. The surface has larger bumps on it and then on the whole thing there's tiny little holes in it. Any help is appreciated since I'm stumped on this one.IMG_8324.thumb.jpg.58f27ee1287bea46e2c07c7f0e755c72.jpgIMG_7861.thumb.JPG.6d35410402d22cb74ef10aab3d3297dc.JPG

Thanks, 

Connor

• I found this Informative 1
Peat Burns
15 minutes ago, fogo26 said:

Hello, any idea what this could be? From Paulding about 2 weeks ago. I've checked everything on the list and nothing is coming up similar. Im assuming some sort of bryozoan or coral. It's about a square inch in size. The surface has larger bumps on it and then on the whole thing there's tiny little holes in it. Any help is appreciated since I'm stumped on this one.

IMG_8324.thumb.jpg.58f27ee1287bea46e2c07c7f0e755c72.jpgIMG_7861.thumb.JPG.6d35410402d22cb74ef10aab3d3297dc.JPG

Thanks, 

Connor

Yes, that does appear to be a bryozoan.  Due to the specific techniques required to confidently identify most bryozoans (thin sections, acetate peels, microscopy) I haven't yet made a formal attempt to classify most of the bryozoa there.  You can probably get many of them to genus from external features.  The Michigan Basin Fossils Database online is a good place to start.  The bumps are called monticules.  The pores or zoecia are where the individual animals (zooids) on the colony lived.  Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

Peat Burns,  I think that the list will be useful to collectors and educators alike so thank you for compiling it.  If you don’t mind making it a community effort, I have listed my Paulding ostracod collection below, mostly identified to genus level.

Aechmina(?)

Arcyzona

Birdsallella

Bufina

Coelonella

Ctenoloculina

Dizygopleura

Eukloedenella

Eugylphella

Falsipollex

Healdia

Hyphasmophora textiligera

Kirkbyellla

Jenningsina

Monoceratina casei

Octonaria crescentiformis

Octonaria quadricostata

Phlyctiscapha apelta

Ponderdictyia

Poloniella

Punctoprimitia simplex

Quasillites

Ropolonellus

Scrobicula

Stictobollia alethaae

Ulrichia

Curious to see which ostracods I am missing!

• I found this Informative 2

Hi @Acryzona.  Additional records are welcome here.  Are you an academician?  That's an impressive list of ostracods.  Would you happen to have photos of the taxa (specimens from the Paulding County Community Fossil Gardens) that you could post in this thread as "vouchers"?

@Acryzona, that is a great list of ostracods!  I’m with @Peat Burns in that I would love to see pictures associated with each of those. Or is there a good comprehensive reference for Devonian ostracods or is it a mis-mash of publications?  I see the U of Mich has several publications on various ostracods groups, are those useful for the Paulding fauna?  I am always intrigued when I find some ostracods, but they are a group I am not overly familiar with and certainly would need a lot of research to ID.  Thanks. 

"euglyphella"

"ponderodictya"

Tiny ,but necessary correction

hope you don't mind

Thanks for the corrections - they aren’t exactly in spellchecker! :)

I’ve been collecting micros since getting hooked in the mid 80s.  Life events has made my hobby off and on as evidenced by my absence from TFF for awhile.  

Several of them are already in TFF collection. - search under Crustacean and filter by Devonian.  I can upload other photos of Paulding ostracods but will need some time to take them.

@clearlake. Kesling  and Chilman wrote a 2-volume publication on Silica ostracods.  Their work was focused on the quarries in Sylvania Ohio but its the same formation exposed at Paulding.  I would highly recommend getting a physical copy, although there is a digital copy available from Deep Blue at University of Michigan.

1000 (2).jpg

contrpaleozoic1000 (2).jpg

kirkbyrh1000 (2).jpg

nodellid1000 (2).jpg

systematic1000 (2).jpg

I notice you aske for his Acryzona revision,back in the days

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2019 at 1:08 AM, Peat Burns said:

On another note, I should be able to put some species names on the Tentaculites soon as well as add some ostracods.

Were you ever able to ascertain the Tentaculites species? I just my found first ones today sorting through some old material, so I'm interested to know what you found.

Just now, connorp said:

Were you ever able to ascertain the Tentaculites species? I just my found first ones today sorting through some old material, so I'm interested to know what you found.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to work with them yet.  Been trying to get some other research obligations finished before the end of the semester.  There are a bunch of good papers on Ostracods and Tentaculites available on Deep Blue (U. of Mich.).   Just use the search term  "Silica Formation".

• 2 years later...

Add Ascodictyon (incertae sedis).

These are photos I took of Ascodictyon on the brachial valve of a Strophodonta (Brachiopoda) from the Paulding County Community Fossil Gardens (Middle Devonian Silica Shale).  They show the classic stellate vessicles that surround what were once "stalks" of some kind.  The stalks would probably provide clues to the taxonomic affinity of the organism, but none have ever been found yet.

Scale in mm.

20211219_201539.thumb.jpg.a7fb01e7cc3ffd90290257b0c8532f89.jpg

20211219_201257.thumb.jpg.32716b0a08e4d5f73e0d01f6701b960b.jpg

20211219_201725.thumb.jpg.8784204e0120a7cafe74ecaaba51575b.jpg

Edited by Peat Burns
  • Enjoyed 3

Spectacular patterns! Are these common at Paulding? Being so small, I should revisit my brachiopods from there in hopes!!

• Enjoyed 1
26 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Spectacular patterns! Are these common at Paulding? Being so small, I should revisit my brachiopods from there in hopes!!

Aren't they stellar?! :BigSmile:  I've chemically cleaned over 150 Strophodonta (mostly) and Megastrophia from Paulding so I can study the epibionts.  Thorough cleaning is really helpful for seeing the tiny epibionts like Ascodictyon and Hederella.  I have not examined them all thoroughly and systematically yet, but I've looked at many of them briefly under the scope.  It's difficult finding a single specimen that doesn't have at least one epibiont taxon.  Although I have found many shells that have clusters of isolated vessicles that may be Ascodictyon or a related organism, this is the first really good example of the characteristic stellate clusters that I've found at Paulding so far.  I anticipate more.  I have found similar good examples from the Silica Shale at Milan, MI.

• I found this Informative 3