Paulding, Ohio (April 2018)

Peat Burns

Another great hunt in Paulding, OH.  Weather was windy, rainy, and cold, but neither the fossils nor the avid fossil hunter seemed to mind.  Here are some of the finds.  I have also begun a working species list for the site in the Ohio fossil sites subforum linked here:

Paulding Species List

Resized_20180425_185413.thumb.jpeg.2a1f8a27759693a948f3593419d30607.jpeg

Resized_20180425_185311.thumb.jpeg.42873802330cd07b012572a4b138236b.jpeg

Resized_20180425_175733.thumb.jpeg.230649c9ddf180416100b7f75165ae29.jpeg

Wow! 

Great variety to be found there!  :) 

Thanks for posting. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Love it all. :wub:

Some terrific specimens. 

Great photos, too. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Great finds!! So ironic you post Reptaria and Hederella right after I did. Never saw these posted before. Maybe never paid attention until I found some. Anyways, did you happen to leave anything behind as I am going to visit the site on the way to visit relatives over Memorial  Day weekend.

4 hours ago, erose said:

Great collection! I miss the Devonian....

Thanks. Being back in the Devonian after they stopped allowing access to the spoil piles in Sylvania has been facilitated by the new park at Paulding and field trips organized by FUMMP.  Prior to that, I had been operating mostly in your old stomping grounds in the Cincinnatian. 

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Wow! 

Great variety to be found there!  :) 

Thanks for posting. 

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the pics.

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Love it all. :wub:

Some terrific specimens. 

Great photos, too. 

Thanks Adam.

3 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Nice variety of old dead critters!

-Joe

Thank you.

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Great finds!! So ironic you post Reptaria and Hederella right after I did. Never saw these posted before. Maybe never paid attention until I found some. Anyways, did you happen to leave anything behind as I am going to visit the site on the way to visit relatives over Memorial  Day weekend.

Thanks, Mike. Unless you are what I call a cherry picker, you'll do fine (cherry pickers are those who are just there to find enrolled Eldredgeops).  I find their "middens" where in their search for trilos by breaking rocks, they've left a treasure trove of other goodies.  The frequency  of rollers has gone down.  They need to feather it out or bring in new material.  Regardless, I still find about 0.5 complete enrolled trilobites per trip (i.e. one every other trip).  Bring knee pads and prepare to crawl to get the good stuff. Let us know how you do.:popcorn:

Great finds matched only by such wonderful presentation! I very much appreciate the effort you took in doing the coral peels. :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Wow, a really great diversity of fossils!  Looks like you had a great time!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Wow, you hit the Mother Load on that visit Tony. Thanks for sharing and I really love the pics.

thanks, I added a comment to your list, I guess it might have been in the wrong place, I am sorry if I inadvertantly screwed it up....great job, really helpful to me, btw. I crawled around on my knees in the rain....and cold, since I only had once shot at this while on my last trip to Michigan. Beautiful photography as well. 

Nice variety for the Paleo diet! :dinothumb:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

12 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Quite 

Thank you.

11 hours ago, Monica said:

I love those encrusting brachiopods!!! :wub:

The abundance of epibionts at this site is amazing.

10 hours ago, Kane said:

Great finds matched only by such wonderful presentation! I very much appreciate the effort you took in doing the coral peels. :dinothumb:

Thanks, Kane.  The coral peels are fun and it gives me some peace being able to have some level of certainty on the coral IDs.

9 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Wow, a really great diversity of fossils!  Looks like you had a great time!

Thanks.  Always hard to peel (:)) myself away from that site.  

9 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Wow, you hit the Mother Load on that visit Tony. Thanks for sharing and I really love the pics.

Just trying to keep up with you, Ralph :)

7 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

thanks, I added a comment to your list, I guess it might have been in the wrong place, I am sorry if I inadvertantly screwed it up....great job, really helpful to me, btw. I crawled around on my knees in the rain....and cold, since I only had once shot at this while on my last trip to Michigan. Beautiful photography as well. 

No problem at all.  Let us know how you do on your upcoming trip there.

5 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Nice variety for the Paleo diet! :dinothumb:

Haha :popcorn:. Thanks.

Archived