New Harbor Freight Air Compressor

Sagebrush Steve

Just got an email from Harbor Freight about a new compressor they have introduced.  It’s only 8 gallons so it might be too small for a scribe, but I think would be okay for an air eraser like the Paasche AECR (as long as you keep it set to 50psi or less).  It is oil free but claims to be quieter than other oil free compressors.  At $115 on sale it might even be in my price range.  Anyone already have one or have thoughts about it?  Here is the link:

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-gallon-15-HP-150-PSI-Oil-Free-Portable-Air-Compressor-64294.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTIxNTkwNjAiLCJza3UiOiI2NDI5NCIsImlzIjoiMTE0Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6IjEyNjExIn0%3D &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1718c&utm_source=1031&cid=mEmail_s1031_c1718c&sfid=c3RldmVfaGluY2hAY29tY2FzdC5uZXQ=

Also, for what it's worth. I run all of my equipment, including my scribes off of a 5 gal "hot dog" compressor. Have yet to have a problem with running out of air. (I really thought I would, but this little beast has been working just fine now for 2 years!)

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

2 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Lol, I too just got that e-mail. 

Yep, I’m sure a lot of us did!

2 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Also, for what it's worth. I run all of my equipment, including my scribes off of a 5 gal "hot dog" compressor. Have yet to have a problem with running out of air. (I really thought I would, but this little beast has been working just fine now for 2 years!)

What brand do you have?  Sounds like a good investment.

It's a no-name brand called Black Cat. My brother gave it to me actually. But I stand corrected, it actually is an 8 gal. not a 5, i mistakenly remembered it being a 5. I don't think they still make the compressor, or rather, I'm sure they still make it, but I have no idea what brand or label it goes under now. It's basically the same thing as in the harbor freight ad. I added a triple manifold, and air dryer, and a filter to the output so that I could run a scribe line, an air eraser line, and a line to my Paasche. I just swap scribes when I need to on the end of the line. Only catch is that the Paasche can only handle 50psi, whereas the eraser can take 90, so if I'm using the eraser at high psi to remove bulk matrix, I just pop the quick release on the Paasche line so that I don't explode the canister. I know that in a perfect world, a larger capacity unit would prevent short cycle times, but I use it in my workshop, so I don't really care about the noise of a compressor running. Next time I'm in the shop I will take a pic of it on the off chance that you can still find them somewhere!

• I found this Informative 2

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA