Interesting feature in this plate

BenK

I was scouring over a plate I recently collected and noticed this "face-like" feature. Any ideas? Sorry couldn't get extreme close up as the iPhone camera isn't great for that. 

IMG_2345.JPG

Trilobite glabella for the first picture.

Second picture contains a trilobite pygidium at the bottom. The pygidium reminds me of Flexicalymene spp. I find in high-energy Ordovician deposits.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Awesome! Wonder if I could dissolve the parent rock out. Also what is that conical/spiral feature just below it?

5 minutes ago, BenK said:

Awesome! Wonder if I could dissolve the parent rock out. Also what is that conical/spiral feature just below it?

The conical piece is a high-spired gastropod, like Hormotoma sp..

I wouldn't try to dissolve anything out of these hash plates as the fossils and the matrix are made of much of the same material. Instead, you can try revealing more using a pin vise or possibly air tools. The only problem here is that with these highly turbid pieces of disarticulated remains, there may not be much more to reveal as they are already somewhat disarticulated. :( 

Ok, was just wondering in case more of the creature buried in the host rock. Hopefully I can find some complete stuff at this place. My guess is that I'm not the only one who knows about it...

It is possible. In that first piece, I'd probe the areas just below with a sewing needle, gently flaking off matrix to see if more of it is tucked inside, or if it is indeed a disarticulated piece. It is possible to find full specimens even in busy environments like this, but not easy or common outside more hardy specimens that do not disarticulate/disintegrate quickly. I would inspect the layers above or below. The better chances of whole specimens can occur in those environments where they were buried quickly after death, such as being covered in mud slides.

20 minutes ago, Kane said:

The conical piece is a high-spired gastropod, like Hormotoma sp..

I wouldn't try to dissolve anything out of these hash plates as the fossils and the matrix are made of much of the same material. Instead, you can try revealing more using a pin vise or possibly air tools. The only problem here is that with these highly turbid pieces of disarticulated remains, there may not be much more to reveal as they are already somewhat disarticulated. :( 

I agree with you Kane but because the fossils stand out from the matrix they are more resistant to dissolution. I tried to free fossils like this and it corroded the fossils in the process but they did become relatively free of the matrix. I was surprised at the amount of residual clay once the calcium carbonate was dissolved.  If BenK has a worthless small chunk to experiment with he can soak it in vinegar to see what happens. As you say though there isn't much point in freeing disarticulated fossils. The Hormotoma steinkern would surely go completely away as the steinkern is the fill of the surrounding matrix. The resistant bits of brachs etc should stay; at least for a while before also dissolving.

23 minutes ago, BenK said:

My guess is that I'm not the only one who knows about it...

Tell you what. Why don't you tell all of us here exactly where it is you are finding these and we'll come over and "help" you find the whole specimens. ;)

Don't worry, the location is just between us friends, right?

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG