Fossil Of Fin? Plant?

backyard dog

Weird! I don't recognize it at all...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Weird! I don't recognize it at all...

check out www.museumoftheearth.org website, On the home page they play a video, it cycle and repeats itself, take about 3 min. Their will be a man with boy pointing at a fossil on the wall, with a front fin similar to this one, do you not what this fossil is. I can stop the tape or find it elsewhere on the website.

Found in Arkansas river bed near Tulsa Oklahoma

"Nature can make some crazy stuff.... "

I agree no fossil ,no plant,just mineral !!!!

bruno ;);)

I am leaning toward mineral also. But can you get a close up of #2 as close as you can.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Hi seldom, going to add a few more pic to blog, after reviewing my pic I can see why everyone wants to add it to the hall of minerals, but before I added to my mineral wall I thought I would give my nebie ideas and see what yah thought. first of all, the piece only has one break point at the end where it should connect if it was a left side fin or on the back of something.

second it is rough plated on top and smooth on bottom as you might expect a fin, third it is tappers from front to back. I hope you can see this in the new pics. My problem with the rock was where it attached was so thin and narrow for such a large fin, then I saw the fossil at (Museum of the Earth) and saw that it was attached with a flat narrow bone. I still don't know if fossils of fins are bone structures or one could be fossilize like this. Anyway my little women thinks I have a big imagination and I think yah will prove her wright! Thanks for the help!

post-2086-1250487465_thumb.jpg

post-2086-1250487486_thumb.jpg

post-2086-1250487508_thumb.jpg

post-2086-1250487527_thumb.jpg

post-2086-1250487548_thumb.jpg

"Nature can make some crazy stuff.... "

I agree no fossil ,no plant,just mineral !!!!

bruno ;);)

POSTED YOU SOME NEW PICS HOPE THEY ARE WHAT YOU WANTED!

There is nothing wrong with a big imagination in fact it can take you along way in life. As for your pieces I will keep looking.

It can not be a fin etc only hard parts will fossilize not skin or flash on that one I am still thinking mineral. The long one I have seen something like that coral or something

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

funisia dorothea I can find no papers on one ever found that big but may give you a point to do more research.

post-1315-1250541745.jpg

I think it looks like fossilized mud (therefore mineral).

It slightly resembles some mudcrack rocks that I have... It is in an interesting shape, however, but that doesnt seem uncommon... I find heart shapes, geometric shapes... all sorts of interesting shapes.... I would have to vote mineral.

I am eager to hear the final verdict on this piece! Very Interesting!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

I think it looks like fossilized mud (therefore mineral).

It slightly resembles some mudcrack rocks that I have... It is in an interesting shape, however, but that doesnt seem uncommon... I find heart shapes, geometric shapes... all sorts of interesting shapes.... I would have to vote mineral.

I am eager to hear the final verdict on this piece! Very Interesting!

I think pseudo and mineral also but think we need to look at all possibilities. Not having it in our hands and no close up pics we are doing a lot of guessing, but I have seen a lot of ID's made though that system.

funisia dorothea I can find no papers on one ever found that big but may give you a point to do more research.

Thanks for the help, I am researching online and have found some pictures of the Funsisia dorothea, by Mary Droser who discovered them in 2005. They look similar but I don't see any of them that wrap around rocks, but I am still looking. I posted an earlier Fossil ID on Subject Cladoxylopsid tree stump?, I was wondering if you could take a look, these are the first fossil I found digging my pond in eastern Oklahoma. I have found several others now and some may help ID tree stump. Attaching a few, would like to get your opinion on time period to research for possible ID of fossils. Thanks

post-2086-1250741647_thumb.jpg

post-2086-1250741671_thumb.jpg

post-2086-1250741699_thumb.jpg

post-2086-1250741730_thumb.jpg

post-2086-1250741758_thumb.jpg

post-2086-1250741802_thumb.jpg