Keichousaurus with crystallized crack

Crazyhen

This specimen of Keichousaurus is interesting.  It has a crystallized crack cutting across its belly.  I wonder what kind of mineral is that, is it quartz?   Have anyone seen this before?

IMG_2271.JPG

46 minutes ago, ynot said:

Need a better picture to tell.

You can take a small chip of it and see if it fizzes in vinegar.

Unfortunately the specimen is not in my hand.  Two more pictures are however attached.  I have never seen such a wide "quartz" line in Keichousaurus.

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

+1 for Quartz.

I think that it is not impossible and quite likely for these lines to appear sometimes on the slates.

This is a little more advanced stage. Very interesting and quite rare I think.

Lets see what the keich. Experts say.

The mineral (quartz or calcite) fills the space left available in the cracks that forms in the bedrock.

If it is known what mineral fills the smaller cracks, that is what this is. If not known then it could be either quartz or calcite.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I believe it's quartz, as I believe the layers of Guizhou are metamorph. Quartz occurs most in this type of layers. I can't clearly see on the pictures, but quartz comes most in the form of hexagonal prism, while calcite comes in scalenohedrons, rhombohedrons and prismatic crystals. Ofcourse other forms are possible by both of them, but these will occur less. Both could be possible.

Quartz is impervious to acids and would leave a ridge on acid prepped pieces. I have not seen this on the ketch plates I have seen in person, so I think calcite is more likely.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Those crystalized cracks are common in this layer of the Keichs. But indeed i never saw such big one.

I am more with the argumentation of ynot, and furthermore because it does not seems to be the iodiomorph crystal habit of quarz as far as it could be seen from the picture...

I’m in the calcite camp as well. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived