Cretaceous Tooth

MDPaleoceneGeo

Need help on this one please.  Its pretty worn - is it a croc or maybe a mosaur?  It is really flat.  Thanks.

Sorry pics aren't the best.  

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_3235.JPG

Tooth.jpg

From the very rare and unknown Squishedasaurus flateniesis. Very difficult to hide from these guys given they could squeeze into very tight spaces.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Must of been run over by Fred flintstone's car :D 

To me it looks like a very worn section of bird bone.

Are you sure this is tooth-material? If so, it might be a lamella-fragment from a mammoth molar.

If not i'd go with bone fragment too :)

Ok - here are some better pics from digital microscope.   It looks to have a distinctive channel along the outer edge.   Also the ridge lines on the face match the shape curvature.   Last pic is of potential root area or where it is broken.  Thanks for help.

Tooth.jpg

Digital Pic 1.jpg

Digital Pic 2.jpg

Digital Pic 3.jpg

Digital Pic 4.jpg

I'm definitely not seeing a tooth here. More likely bone but IDing it tighter than that could be impossible.

Thanks everyone - I think all agree it’s not a tooth.  Must be an unrecognizable bone fragment that is worn in the shape of a tooth.  

don't know if it's just me but reminds me of this which is found from the kem kem beds which are dated to cretaceous in age Image result for Peyeria Lybica

Wow - I think that is it.   My specimen is pretty worn but it certainly has similar characteristics.  Very cool.   Thank you.  

I'm sorry to bring bad news, but i highly doubt this is the rostral barb of a sawfish (Peyeria Lybica) as found in the Morocco area. First of all: where was your item found?

Then looking at your item, on the 'root'-side you can clearly see it's not hollow like the barb, but rather solid bone material.

Plus looking at the closeups the lines in the surface on your item start to appear at random places, not being continues all along the surface like on the rostral barb. They look more like wearing cracks you would see on an old piece of bone.

I know it would be great to have an ID, but sometimes it will just be a chunk of unidentified bone :)

• I found this Informative 2

no your right laditz, however if you notice i did say it reminds me of lybica rostral barb this is to ensure that i'm not saying it is or isn't just bringing another possible id to the table to help identify if possible again I know nothing of the formation of this piece that was found other than what the op has posted and obviously digging in that area personally gives you a feel for what different fossil types belong to.

Thanks Matt