FNG

Charlie's Creek Accessibility

FNG

Has anyone had any problems or relative success for that matter, accessing Charlie's Creek from the Peace north of Gardner? I'm not really looking for specific spots or honey holes. I'm just curious about how far people have gone up from that confluence and whether or not there were issues with landowners. Thanks.

jcbshark

I have only tried right at the mouth where it empties into the peace myself but have heard of a couple folks hunting further in. Not sure if access was a problem,sorry. Good luck if you manage to get out there :)

FNG
12 hours ago, jcbshark said:

I have only tried right at the mouth where it empties into the peace myself but have heard of a couple folks hunting further in. Not sure if access was a problem,sorry. Good luck if you manage to get out there :)

Thanks for the info JCB...and taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Shellseeker

I took a trip to Peace River & Charlie Creek October 3rd, 2017 about a month after Hurricane Irma... DEEP water everywhere.  Managed to find 3 small teeth -- 2 broken.

Went all the way from where Charlie connects to the Peace to past the route 17 bridge... finally blocked by hurricane debris..

LOTS of gators, some large preferring the slower creek currents..

That trip will not be as easy for anyone following me.... lots of shallow water where you will likely have to port the kayak/canoe @Atomic_Monkey

IMG_5180CharlieCreek.JPG.0eb4e72e3e24cba69d22f80fbef4d19b.JPG

Atomic_Monkey

I didn't make it that far north Monday... We rented canoes at the canoe outpost and only went north a couple miles... I have been eyeing the tributaries on satellite but haven't been in any yet... Looking forward to exploring them... 

FNG
22 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I took a trip to Peace River & Charlie Creek October 3rd, 2017 about a month after Hurricane Irma... DEEP water everywhere.  Managed to find 3 small teeth -- 2 broken.

Went all the way from where Charlie connects to the Peace to past the route 17 bridge... finally blocked by hurricane debris..

LOTS of gators, some large preferring the slower creek currents..

That trip will not be as easy for anyone following me.... lots of shallow water where you will likely have to port the kayak/canoe @Atomic_Monkey

IMG_5180CharlieCreek.JPG.0eb4e72e3e24cba69d22f80fbef4d19b.JPG

4 hours ago, Atomic_Monkey said:

I didn't make it that far north Monday... We rented canoes at the canoe outpost and only went north a couple miles... I have been eyeing the tributaries on satellite but haven't been in any yet... Looking forward to exploring them... 

Thank you gentlemen...I've read a lot of your posts Shellseeker. Good to finally speak with you. I am heading out tomorrow. I'm not sure how far north I will go because of the level. It was slow going last Sunday. We shall see. I may be forced into Charlie's Creek. Not a bad spot...all things considered. Good luck. Good night.

Shellseeker

Boy,

I did not make clear what I did... I left my pickup truck at Gardner boat ramp, motored upstream against a heavy current for about 2 hours, turned and came down stream very fast with the current. When I reached (for the 2nd time) Charlie Creek on my left, I turned up the creek, and took it all the way upstream to where Charlie Creek crosses Rt 17. That photo was taken about a 1/4 mile from the CC Bridge at Rt 17... note the calmness of the water.. deep and calm.

Here is a photo of what the Peace River above Charley Creek looked like.  Good luck tomorrow... you will see nothing that resembles these photos///

PeaceRiverOct3rd2017.thumb.JPG.916d914faef5f7090e81a3e87f13a094.JPG

FNG

5aee53e7b0ea9_rifleman(2).jpg.2d4b8adecf9aa4956b77dfc114c81d9b.jpg

On 5/3/2018 at 11:33 PM, Shellseeker said:

Boy,

I did not make clear what I did... I left my pickup truck at Gardner boat ramp, motored upstream against a heavy current for about 2 hours, turned and came down stream very fast with the current. When I reached (for the 2nd time) Charlie Creek on my left, I turned up the creek, and took it all the way upstream to where Charlie Creek crosses Rt 17. That photo was taken about a 1/4 mile from the CC Bridge at Rt 17... note the calmness of the water.. deep and calm.

Here is a photo of what the Peace River above Charley Creek looked like.  Good luck tomorrow... you will see nothing that resembles these photos///

PeaceRiverOct3rd2017.thumb.JPG.916d914faef5f7090e81a3e87f13a094.JPG

I thought it was impressive the way you posted it the first time. The second post makes it sound more like a Randy Wayne White novel.

Since I can't call you Doc Ford can I call you Pa? If I'm going to be called 'boy' by a guy who resembles Chuck Connors, it's only fair. If I remember 'The Rifleman', I know that you do.

So...long story short. I didn't go up Charlie's Creek Friday. I did my usual paddle (walk/drag/pull) up to the Limestone Creek area. I found some heartbreaking shark tooth fragments and some interesting miscellaneous pieces which I need to work on ID'ng. I'm sure that I will have to post some in Fossil ID. If anyone on this thread is interested, I can put some pics up. 

This is going out on a tangent but...Gardner is such a dump! It really ticks me off. I've been thinking about trying to round some people up for a general clean-up of a stretch of the Peace. Judging by quite a few of the people I've seen there, I wonder if it would be worth it. I know that it would , but I also know that Gardner would be back to normal the following week. Frustrating. If anyone else feels the same way and would like to try and start planning this...please let me know. I just realized that this should be a separate thread. Note to self...

Shellseeker

Apologies FNG, 

I do not refer to anyone as "boy",  it is insulting.  My only use of the term is when referring to myself, like "Boy, you dumb sob, you really messed up the telling of that...."  Turns out that "boy" is a derivative of my last name. As said, apology.

9 hours ago, FNG said:

This is going out on a tangent but...Gardner is such a dump! It really ticks me off. I've been thinking about trying to round some people up for a general clean-up of a stretch of the Peace. Judging by quite a few of the people I've seen there, I wonder if it would be worth it. I know that it would , but I also know that Gardner would be back to normal the following week. Frustrating. If anyone else feels the same way and would like to try and start planning this...please let me know. I just realized that this should be a separate thread. Note to self...

I agree with you 100% , you can get disappointed with some humans when and where they are out by themselves and believe no one is watching...

In answer to your query,  I would join and help to clean the banks of my river.

Jack

FNG
13 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Apologies FNG, 

I do not refer to anyone as "boy",  it is insulting.  My only use of the term is when referring to myself, like "Boy, you dumb sob, you really messed up the telling of that...."  Turns out that "boy" is a derivative of my last name. As said, apology.

I agree with you 100% , you can get disappointed with some humans when and where they are out by themselves and believe no one is watching...

In answer to your query,  I would join and help to clean the banks of my river.

Jack

No apology necessary Jack. I've noticed that the text in the posts get jumbled sometimes. I figured it was something like that. I just thought that I would have some fun with it. Thanks for your support. 

Bone Daddy

I'm a little late here, but will share my Charlie Creek experience.

I haven't not been as far up Charlie Creek as Jack has, but Josh and I did go a couple miles up just to scout it out. This was two years ago, and the water levels were low at the time.

We entered it from the mouth where it joins the Peace near the Gardner ramp. We have searched the mouth area more than once and have not had any luck there. At the times we went, the mouth area was very sandy without much (if any gravel).

If you go just a short distance, perhaps a few hundred yards up the creek, there is a narrow spot where the limestone riverbed is exposed (was then). The potholes in the rock collect small fossils that weather out of the banks. We found a bunch of teeth, some scutes, antler pieces, and a few small bone bits. There was also a very obvious echinoid embedded in the rock at this spot, but it didn't appear to be worth the trouble of snorkling with a chisel and hammer to get it out.

We continued past that spot for quite a distance, around many bends. We saw mostly sandy bottom without much gravel and no obvious layer exposures on the banks. We passed a big mamma gator and her nest of babies, so we decided to take that as a sign and head back. It wasn't very productive for fossils, but it was a fun paddle with a lot of wildlife visible.

Having said all of that, as you already know, there are some shady and trashy elements that congregate around the Gardner ramp. Most of them are harmless and they are just there to drink, BBQ, swim, fish and make noise. Once you get a distance from the ramp, they vanish. Keep in mind though, many locals fish around Charlie Creek and I did hear one story about a crazy guy with a gun threatening a fossil hunter - it wasn't a landowner, just some nut. So, moral of this anecdote is - don't leave anything obviously valuable laying in open sight in your vehicle while parked at the ramp, and keep your wits about you. 

FNG
On 5/10/2018 at 4:15 PM, Bone Daddy said:

I'm a little late here, but will share my Charlie Creek experience.

I haven't not been as far up Charlie Creek as Jack has, but Josh and I did go a couple miles up just to scout it out. This was two years ago, and the water levels were low at the time.

We entered it from the mouth where it joins the Peace near the Gardner ramp. We have searched the mouth area more than once and have not had any luck there. At the times we went, the mouth area was very sandy without much (if any gravel).

If you go just a short distance, perhaps a few hundred yards up the creek, there is a narrow spot where the limestone riverbed is exposed (was then). The potholes in the rock collect small fossils that weather out of the banks. We found a bunch of teeth, some scutes, antler pieces, and a few small bone bits. There was also a very obvious echinoid embedded in the rock at this spot, but it didn't appear to be worth the trouble of snorkling with a chisel and hammer to get it out.

We continued past that spot for quite a distance, around many bends. We saw mostly sandy bottom without much gravel and no obvious layer exposures on the banks. We passed a big mamma gator and her nest of babies, so we decided to take that as a sign and head back. It wasn't very productive for fossils, but it was a fun paddle with a lot of wildlife visible.

Having said all of that, as you already know, there are some shady and trashy elements that congregate around the Gardner ramp. Most of them are harmless and they are just there to drink, BBQ, swim, fish and make noise. Once you get a distance from the ramp, they vanish. Keep in mind though, many locals fish around Charlie Creek and I did hear one story about a crazy guy with a gun threatening a fossil hunter - it wasn't a landowner, just some nut. So, moral of this anecdote is - don't leave anything obviously valuable laying in open sight in your vehicle while parked at the ramp, and keep your wits about you. 

Thank you sir. That was very informative...much like Jack's post. I haven't been too far up and it wasn't terribly productive. It's nice to be able to see the bottom though. There is a huge amount of sand coming out of that creek. 

Gardner. Yeah. I just don't understand how you can trash your own backyard like that.