Tidgy's Dad

Brilliant. :)

Very useful, this should be pinned. 

SnazzyMax

Brilliant, thank you so much for this comprehensive and detailed study of Triassic Malagasy fish, @oilshale.

I've been trying to compare my own Malagasy fish with some of the specimens shown here, but I'm finding it quite hard to match them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! As @oilshale mentioned in another thread, the one in the 2nd image looks to be a Pteronisculus - I will try and post better images in a better light tomorrow.

Hopefully one of them is Coelacanth!

Thanks again!

Images in highest quality:

https://imgur.com/a/n46SHCD

Edited by SnazzyMax

Ludwigia

Excellent! Thanks, Thomas. I agree with Adam that this should be pinned. Do you agree @Fossildude19 ?

jpenn

Excellent thread, thank you@oilshale ! I was actually thinking of making a similar one myself as I have several Sakamena fm. fishes (and more) to show. It is an exciting and relatively inexpensive fauna to collect but unfortunately not easy to find information on (a lot of the papers are not easily had.)

This thread should serve as a good resource for people looking to get into this exciting post-extinction biota.

Fossildude19
20 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Brilliant. :)

Very useful, this should be pinned. 

15 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Excellent! Thanks, Thomas. I agree with Adam that this should be pinned. Do you agree @Fossildude19 ?

DONE! :) 

doushantuo

specicgghkkitopugyytykkanguujjjiidp88humb.jpg

30 -35 rows of fairly thick quadrilateral slightly obliquely arranged scales,semi-heterocercal tail,low pectoral fin insertion on the cleithrum,notes on ecology,comparison with Cypselurus

The Amateur Paleontologist

Thanks for the review of the Sakamena icthyofauna, I'm sure it'll be useful! Any chance of some literature on the Sakamena Fm. tetrapods? 

DevonianDigger

This is awesome, thanks for sharing! Now I just have to find all of these to add to my collection! :P

RJB

This is excellent!!! 

RB