Unknown mammal bones ID help

Bobby Rico

Hi 

I have had in my collection for sometime now some unidentified mammal bones . They was part of an old museum collection I think going by the markings on the cave hyena specimens.  All the fossil found in Tor Newton (Tornewton) cave in South Devon UK. In the collection was cave hyena teeth and foot bones, a tip of a Straight Tusted elephant and there unknown mammal bones. Collecting from these sites is strictly prohibited today. So was probably collected from these sites during the 18th/19th century up until as late as the 1950s. There are three pictures of each bone if you can please help with an ID that would been fantastic. I will also include some pictures of the rest of the collection and as taster some images of the Pleistocene animals they came from. Pleistocene in the UK must have looked very similar to Africa in terms of the fauna.

C54D1249-6CCE-4A6D-AE7A-ACBEDD75E7ED.jpeg

11788618-AED2-4D90-A1D9-074564F314D7.jpeg

1EB7CBA7-4214-4921-AFE7-A92FC2DC5101.jpeg

An interpretive drawing of William Buckland crawling into Kirkdale where he found extinct cave hyenas and the remains of their prey. Drawn by Buckland’s friend William Conybeare.

265EF89A-E5D3-4D41-A383-A4A1B37C0102.jpeg

C6840E34-0D4C-46E0-9D9E-814F67EF912D.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

First off all: those are some nice fossils you got there! Especially like the hyena teeth and tusk-tip!

The first item on the pictures is a seperated Femoral head.

The second item also looks familiar, but i can't seem to place it.. could it be a the proximal end of a Humerus?

BTW: Both bones show that they weren't completely fused yet, so might have been young animals when they died.

Were these bones found in the caves with the hyena ones? Wondering if it could have been vulnerable prey :)

• I found this Informative 3

Nice assortment of bones. 

I can't help though I agree the first one looks like the end of a femur. 

Love the drawings! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Why did he depict the discoverer entering the cave with live hyenas?!

"Ah oops! Wrong cave fellas, I'll just back out slowly. You carry on and forget I was ever here, he, he".

20180428_114551.png

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

Why did he depict the discoverer entering the cave with live hyenas?!

"Ah oops! Wrong cave fellas, I'll just back out slowly. You carry on and forget I was ever here, he, he".

20180428_114551.png

More like I’ll back out slowly into my time machine. :D

2 hours ago, Laditz said:

Both bones show that they weren't completely fused yet, so might have been young animals when they died.

Were these bones found in the caves with the hyena ones? Wondering if it could have been vulnerable prey :)

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

agree the first one looks like the end of a femur. 

Love the drawings

@JohnBrewer @caldigger @Tidgy's Dad And @Laditz 

Thank you.

I thought the first bone was a femur head but the second I have no idea.

that is an interesting take on the bones been from a juvenile. The bones was from the same cave but I can’t say if they was tougher. The hyena bones are also unstratified . 

Does the mammal bones look like they have bite marks on them?

• I found this Informative 3

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Like those small bones and teeth and can say on authority not dinosaurian :D.

You don’t need any more photos from different angles . :D

38 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

You don’t need any more photos from different angles . :D

Well cannot hurt but for the time being will pass.  Difficult call but I made it.

@ynotcan you please have a little look at my unknown mammal bones. Any ideas of what animal this may have been? Juvenile maybe? Bite marks? Thank you bobby 

9 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

@ynotcan you please have a little look at my unknown mammal bones. Any ideas of what animal this may have been? Juvenile maybe? Bite marks? Thank you bobby 

I am not very good with identifying bones, though not seeing anything I would classify as "bite" marks.

Maybe @Harry Pristis can help.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

32 minutes ago, ynot said:

I am not very good with identifying bones, though not seeing anything I would classify as "bite" marks.

Maybe @Harry Pristis can help.

Thanks you

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, Bobby Rico said:

FCBDB6AF-1B63-46D6-8AFD-17AE52AD0EA7.jpeg

I don't have any cave hyena material, but I can say that this appears to be carnivore material:  Upper Left is a right astragalus, and not a bear.  Upper Right is a right scapho-lunar.  Beyond the three toe bones (four, if the middle-bottom is a damaged claw core), I cannot further guess.

• I found this Informative 5

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

21 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I don't have any cave hyena material, but I can say that this appears to be carnivore material:  Upper Left is a right astragalus, and not a bear.  Upper Right is a right scapho-lunar.  Beyond the three toe bones (four, if the middle-bottom is a damaged claw core), I cannot further guess.

Thank you very much any ideas on the to larger mammal bones at the start of my post.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:13 AM, Bobby Rico said:

FCBDB6AF-1B63-46D6-8AFD-17AE52AD0EA7.jpeg

I think that bone just below the astragulus is a cuboid.  The bone slightly lower and to the right of the cuboid looks like an unciform but I'm not sure that's from a hyena.  If you provided more photos from at least two other angles (one of the other side; one at a right angle to the shot you have), someone might be able to say more about them.