nj cretaceous bone id

brad hinkelman

I don't know if anybody can shed any info on just this small piece of bone.....like reptile,mammal ect....................thanks

100_6208.JPG

100_6209.JPG

100_6210.JPG

100_6211.JPG

100_6212.JPG

If someone told me it was a phalanx, I'd believe them. If they IDed it beyond Vertebrata, I would ask them why (and learn something).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

37 minutes ago, Auspex said:

If someone told me it was a phalanx, I'd believe them. If they IDed it beyond Vertebrata, I would ask them why (and learn something).

Blind spot when it comes to the digits, eh ? ;)

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Blind spot when it comes to the digits, eh ? ;)

If it is indeed a phalanx...
The general morphology suggests it to me, but without the articulating surfaces....

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This bone is likely from the Cretaceous. If it's Cretaceous it is reptilian and most likely turtle. I don't think it is a turtle phalange as it is curved. It's probably some other type of turtle bone.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

25 minutes ago, Auspex said:

If it is indeed a phalanx...
The general morphology suggests it to me, but without the articulating surfaces....

Well someone needed to ask and learn. :)

12 minutes ago, josephstrizhak said:

This bone is likely Cretaceous. If it's Cretaceous it is reptilian and most likely turtle. I don't think it is a turtle phalange as it is curved.

The first thing I did was take a look at the photos of the croc./gator ? limb bone I found at Tooth Draw quarry.

Too little information to say much about it though.

With the ends of the bones missing it would just be guessing, but could I also suggest looking at Humeri?

I've seen this S-shape, slightly triangular cross section and one side a bit flattened on the humerus of marine animals before. 

I don't have enough knowledge of turtles, but seems like they have a similar shape looking at google pictures..

Good luck with the search :)

Doubt it is turtle as previously suggested as the bone structure is not dense enough with the larger voids seen in the photo showing one end.

This is based purely on the Australian cretaceous material I have collected

Is the other end hollow with a fairly thick external bone showing ? I am thinking land rather than marine.

But to what I have no idea.

Mike D

3 hours ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Doubt it is turtle as previously suggested as the bone structure is not dense enough with the larger voids seen in the photo showing one end.

This is based purely on the Australian cretaceous material I have collected

Is the other end hollow with a fairly thick external bone showing ? I am thinking land rather than marine.

But to what I have no idea.

Mike D

100_6213.JPG

100_6214.JPG

thanks everyone for all the info,i know being broken,worn and only a piece it cant be id'ed for sure....but you did point in a direction of possibility with it being found in a location of cretaceous stream where other turtle stuff was found and also the size and shape......I'm to thinking part of turtle leg......I found a picture of turtle leg bone and a id sheet that seems could be a possibility.......thans again

turtle.jpg

turtle2.jpg

Archived