TFF Spring Gathering at Deep Springs Rd. in Central NY

Jeffrey P

Despite the foreboding weather prediction, the conditions for the spring gathering of TFF members at Deep Springs Road quarry was nearly ideal; sunny and pleasantly cool in the morning and when the rain finally did arrive in early afternoon it was only light and intermittent.  Kane had announced to us he was traveling across the border from Ontario, accompanied by his wife, Deb, and member of the month, Jay (Devonian Digger). Members from New York, PA., Connecticut, and Massachusetts wanting to meet them and collect at a great spot gathered there. Deep Springs Road is the easternmost exposure of the Middle Devonian Hamilton Group's Moscow Formation's Windom Shale, the same formation exposed at Penn Dixie where Jay work and collects. But the fauna at Deep Springs Road is entirely different. Corals are nearly absent. Bivalves are extremely abundant. Species such as the large trilobite Dipleura dekayi which are very rare at Penn Dixie are common here. Every rock has the potential to reveal the gems of this rich and diverse fauna. Oh, and by the way, thanks largely to Kane and Jay's and Darktooth Dave's prodigious efforts a massive amount of rock was moved.  

In the picture, left to right-Kane's wife Deb,  Jay, Mike (Pagurus) and his wife, Leila. Above them- Kane. On the far right, Tim (Fossildude19).

image1 (371).JPG

• I found this Informative 8

Great pics, Jeff! Thanks for kicking this off. I'm sure many of us will be adding more to this thread in the days to come.

Deb snapped a bunch of pics, too, and we'll be adding to this once we get back - including a full accounting of our finds (and gifts from TFF members :)).

The diversity was incredible, and just about everyone came away with some Dipleura partials, including a wide array of bivalves, brachs, plant pieces, large Goniatites, and phyllocarids. Shamalama took the Dipleura prize with a large, slightly disarticulated piece. Thanks to Dave (Darktooth) for getting the troops rallied, and to you, Jeffrey, for being our on-site expert to identify our finds (and giving some lovely examples). This was truly a TFF collective dig at its very best. :) 

My back is pretty sore today for some reason. Must be on account of our on-site comedians that kept us in stitches all day, Tim and Dave (shamalama). :D 

• I found this Informative 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

:envy:

But very, very happy that you guys are having a fun and productive time. :)

Best of luck to you all and keep us posted. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Me too :envy: it would be so nice to meet you guys on a hunt  someday . Great day out :D

Sounds like a whole bunch of fun!!! As everyone else, I am also green with envy. 

I am awaiting with great anticipation to some pictures of the finds, especially of those bivalves! :rolleyes: 

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Here's a couple of my finds. A complete but damaged coiled  Eldredgeops rana trilobite. Of the three types of trilobites found at Deep Springs Road, Eldredgeops is the least common and this is the first complete one I've found there in a couple years. The small bivalve is Phthonia sectifrons, only my second specimen from Deep Springs Road and my third over all. 

image1 (374).JPG

image1 (373).JPG

• I found this Informative 4

5ae5d8adcdba7_image1(374).thumb.JPG.4b192cd15cdae5d2d6053d9fcba95b27.JPG.00631cfd5514453b77ebe5abdc9a8828.JPG --> :wub:

5ae5d8cb89af3_image1(373).thumb.JPG.2bf24c1bdd9994574f34de56a862a000.JPG.7d4803c3597aa95e8236dad57f57a6e7.JPG --> Wow!!! Now THAT is a bivalve in all its splendor! :trilosurprise::drool:

Do you have pictures of some of the other bivalves (or other fossils in general) found there too?

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Yesterday was simply an awesome day for many reasons. First because I got another chance to meet up and hunt with some great members from the forum. I also invited my co-worker Mike and his girlfriend Gina. Both are newbies and they had a great time and want to go again. As Jeff stated the weather was very nice for April. And Of course there was the finds. I actually started the day at Briggs Road at 6:30 and hunted the Eldredgeops layer and was rewarded with some nice specimens. Then I met up at Deep Springs shortly after other members arrived. I know everyone will be adding to this thread in bits and pieces and I myself don't have time to go into a full account but here are my best finds of the day.

1-2-3- Eldredgeops Specimens from Briggs Road.

4-5- Small but complete Dipleura dekayi.

More will be added later.

20180428_194243.jpg

20180428_194303.jpg

20180428_194334.jpg

20180428_194359.jpg

20180428_194436.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Gorgeous trilobites Dave! @Darktooth

Max Derème

12 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Sounds like a whole bunch of fun!!! As everyone else, I am also green with envy. 

I am awaiting with great anticipation to some pictures of the finds, especially of those bivalves! :rolleyes: 

Max

You're in for a treat, Max! Deb and I alone have two big buckets of finds, and everyone else has a bunch, too! I can't wait to contribute, but we're still technically on dig detail this afternoon and into tomorrow before the drive back to Canada. Our car has quickly run out of space!

A good time for popcorn! :D 

Just now, Kane said:

You're in for a treat, Max! Deb and I alone have two big buckets of finds, and everyone else has a bunch, too! I can't wait to contribute, but we're still technically on dig detail this afternoon and into tomorrow before the drive back to Canada. Our car has quickly run out of space!

A good time for popcorn! :D 

And the anticipation grows!!! :popcorn:

I'm following this topic now just to make sure I don't miss out on anything. ;) 

Max Derème

Great finds everybody! 

The trilobites and the bivalve are fantastic! 

Don't forget to post some photos of  brachiopods, please! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

While I have a minute I just wanted to say Thank-you so much to the members for being so kind and generous to myself and my guests. Thank-you to Tim and Kane for the Great gifts. I will post pics of that later. And members were very attentive with Mike and Gina and I think that helped make their first fossilhunt a great experience. Plus I know they were gifted some goodies from you guys and myself. You guys are the best!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Motel wifi is pokey, but was able to transfer from Deb's camera. A few "in situ" shots of our crew and site...

A picture of the site

7516819056_IMG_1353.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Jay and me doing some landscaping at our newly created perch.

7516819056_IMG_1354.JPG

Teamwork in action. I can't stand it when there is a slab that sits there unmoved. This one was... a tad large. The team removed overburden (a lot of interlocking rock above the slab), and I took to wrestling this monster. As one of the pictures attest, it was heavier than me, but eventually managed to wrestle it off the cliff. I'm sure some of my battle cries spooked the Amish community nearby. :D 

Part 1 of 2:

7516766256_TRS_0000.MP4

7516819056_IMG_1355.JPG

7516819056_IMG_1356.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

The pinchpoint bar was bending a lot. Sadly, no pictures of the vanquished slab(s), but this one entailed going from the wall side and heaving it with a combination of boot + bar.

Part 2 of 2:

7516819056_IMG_1358.JPG

7516819056_IMG_1359.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

I wanted to thank Leila for her much appreciated homemade chocolate chip cookies and Darktooth Dave for his gift of a large partial Dipleura. And a special thanks to Tim for driving me to the site, his excellent company, and wonderful beef jerky he shared. Thanks everyone. Here are a couple of brachs, very fragile, but made it back intact. Left Devonochonetes coronatus and right Mucrospirifer mucronatus. Both are extremely common at the site, but difficult to collect out of the matrix.

image1 (376).JPG

Congratulation Darkttoth Dave on your finds, especially that small, but excellent Dipleura dekayi. I say small, but bigger than any Greenops or Eldredgeops found at the site.