TFF Spring Gathering at Deep Springs Rd. in Central NY

Jeffrey P

On the left is an association piece with brachs and a Greenops pygidium,, and on the right is a gastropod, Glyptotomaria capillaria.

IMG_4745.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This is a closeup of a Greenops Deb found. It is really tiny, but may be complete. Only my prep bench will say!

IMG_4747.JPG

As Jeffreyp has said, Eldredgeops rana are not as abundant here, but a little roller:

IMG_4748.JPG

Did someone day Dipleura cephalons? I was so impressed by their size that I had to bucket each one I found.

IMG_4749.JPG

Not thinking these Dipleura are complete, but we'll see what my prep reveals.

IMG_4751.JPG

And some cephs. A nice nautiloid and a fragment of Goniatites. Dave (shamalama) and Jay truly owned the day with Gonis.

IMG_4752.JPG

On 4/30/2018 at 5:41 PM, Pagurus said:

This trip was another great example of the kind, generous, knowledgeable, hard-working and slightly off-center population we attract here on TFF.   Leila and I enjoyed sharing our day with all

I managed to find a nice little Goniatite as well, in the same layer that Dave had been looking in. 

DSR-TFF9-Goniatite.thumb.jpg.de781790e989af2394960c369bb1671c.jpg

While I didn't make the spectacular find I was looking for, like Deb's Pac-Man fossil, I did come away with lots of specimens that I'm real happy to add to my collection.
I was happy to find quite a few nice cephalopods, including this Spyroceras,

DSR-TFF12.thumb.jpg.1525f54cd453ce966d84fbaea3f3fc5b.jpg

and this Michelinoceras,

DSR-TFF6.thumb.jpg.43b011e15fbd1f88410c3e9b14402c63.jpg

I found this bivalve, Modiomorpha concentrica?

DSR-TFF7.thumb.jpg.805142dc5735e36f30555267c22f793b.jpg

and a few gastropods that I like. I think these are both Glyptotomaria capillaria,

DSR-TFF8.thumb.jpg.8fd2c59740a8d8dbc14974598e14feb9.jpg

Mike

Just love the wide variety of beautiful molluscs. 

Thanks for sharing! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 5/1/2018 at 9:39 AM, Kane said:

The brachs. They get much larger here than at Penn Dixie:

IMG_4744.JPG

BIG brachiopods! :drool:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 5/1/2018 at 9:40 AM, Kane said:

On the left is an association piece with brachs and a Greenops pygidium,, and on the right is a gastropod, Glyptotomaria capillaria.

IMG_4745.JPG

That plate on the left is my favourite so far! 

Amazing! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

And now to embarrass some of our TFF members with their incredible generousity. Some gifts follow:

First up is from Dave (darktooth). Check out this gorgeous Herkimer diamond. After that, a stunning array of goodies from Cole Hill (this is only half of the box! I still have to split the other half with Jay). Thanks, Dave!

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4757.JPG

Given that access to the St Clair ferns is pretty much closed outside some school trips, these are at a premium these days. Dave (shamalama) let us all have our pick. Thanks, Dave!

IMG_4756.JPG

Of course, I had no idea what Tim had given Deb until we got back to the motel. More lovely pieces of St Clair fern. Deb is nuts about them! Deb says thanks, Tim!

IMG_4755.JPG

And because Tim knew it had been my birthday, he buried me in trilobites, some of which are new to my species list. I've always wanted a Crotalocephalus gibbus! Below that is the very tiny Changaspis elongata from china, a full Greenops sp. from DSR in case I didn't find a full one, and below that the always neat and nodular Eldredgeia venustus.

IMG_4758.JPG

And that's not all! This gorgeous Elrathia kingii with impression, Eldredgeops rana multi-plate, and singles! Thanks, Tim!

IMG_4759.JPG

Alas, I was out of decent material from Penn Dixie to give away, so I owe everyone a little something. Make sure you guys PM me your addresses so that I can send you all some finds from the site as the season gets going! I don't like not having goodies, but it's been a slow start to the year this year!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Grabau's reprinted classic, all for my very own! Thanks for this, Jay, and for bringing us to and from DSR

Such exceeding generousity from our members certainly loaded down our car for the trip home, and now the biggest problem will be finding space to display all those lovely gifts. :) 

IMG_4754.JPG

Just now, DevonianDigger said:

@Kane, I particularly like how you included the scale with the book, now if you could please just include the geographical information as well, that'd be great. :ighappy:

LOL. Should I say it comes from the Glitter Pony formation? :D 

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

LOL. Should I say it comes from the Glitter Pony formation? :D 

LOL. You don't want to know what's involved with prepping material from that formation...

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

On 5/1/2018 at 9:41 AM, Kane said:

A large one! Cimtaria recurva.

IMG_4746.JPG

Dang, that is a sweet find! I've been looking for one for a while. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Maximum generosity and super fossils all round! 

Please don't let this thread end! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

@Kane looks like you did very well! I hope those Dipleuras prep out whole. That would truly be awesome.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

50 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Maximum generosity and super fossils all round! 

Please don't let this thread end! :)

Don't worry Adam there is still more to come! Some members still haven't gotten around to posting their finds yet.

(We won't mention any names.);)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Wow, those finds are insane. I'm really getting more and more jealous that I couldn't make it, it seems like it was such an awesome, beautiful day with a bountiful of finds from everyone. Really glad though that you guys had a blast!

(This might start becoming repetitive, but I just can't say it enough:) I am LOVING the bivalves!!!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils