TFF Spring Gathering at Deep Springs Rd. in Central NY

Jeffrey P

Looking good so far Jay. It appears the nose may be intact which is uncommon for a Dipleura cephalon. Most are damaged. Keep up the fine work.

• 3 weeks later...

r0tMDzeySPrDREReZ_nx4c-JCcSNfVJvGJqYyXP5o-_Wg4kUUzxYCJTBYJyUldms-Ckt8PL87K8g485G7jsz4jzZxzBI-TlP-HEcGNl_ZnNIsXpiovlywoI4ElZo6jiONrDq51tuMP4S68EW7e5mxTN08OYCqbVE6JnNqtrA4tNW9PNa6KiMxLESY1VpCuIdJweRbMB7EqeATaF65SImwwSKEAckaApgR16TkrPYDiY6Gi4rK-z5i2FzJuvIhWQKT62zIRgXmMnDgZSuqiTihqlLXL6e2TOq48GfZGk4bVkIWprGHaFTfptQKEis37bobtVI91es6yoOTq2S8Bb3dIMJNTFRw5cglgazGwDCKjxorvckkj78wWaXqlQkHqtLTSpN9xAYLTiU_wwegPpQ_eGLN77t4IUKcUC8ADAteg0vvw-LF4v8rfxLe7xpMysfw3prXvtSIHWV2Ix4HfOcqk8f2qjDXp5-_MwVc2iPUy9MIqAuO3kSPivm13iBIZsElL5tu68f6j32qlVU70ybY5NzulSls4HoU08AhoYpZGgUwh_6b6gUCEcYpOZ3ox1q552SBVa8PnwmI-6QKi7aXUKhkr1NRSDwTMpmK7-x=w2150-h1614-no

So here's an update. You'll notice that part of the anterior margin is missing. It flaked off while I was prepping it. It came off in one solid piece though and I am going to reattach it, I just decided not to until I was done prepping out the rest of it. 

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

On 6/1/2018 at 11:43 AM, DevonianDigger said:

So here's an update. You'll notice that part of the anterior margin is missing. It flaked off while I was prepping it. It came off in one solid piece though and I am going to reattach it, I just decided not to until I was done prepping out the rest of it. 

No picture(?)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:54 PM, DevonianDigger said:

Picture is showing up on my end just fine! Another photo oddity I suppose. I can try to upload it again.

Jay, 

This is what we were seeing. 

jaynophoto.jpg

The photo was there when you first posted, but it disappeared for some reason. Weird. :headscratch:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Jay, 

This is what we were seeing. 

jaynophoto.jpg

The photo was there when you first posted, but it disappeared for some reason. Weird. :headscratch:

Yes, in what is posted there, the anterior margin is, in fact, quite tough to make out. I think it's somewhere between the UulJryf74 and the 6yJeEmK.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Huh weird, this is what I am seeing now... 

Untitled.png.f9c5ee293c875dfe12c611cdb2b58c4a.png

(Had to zoom out to get the whole reply on the screen, hence the bad quality of the text)

I'm surprised though because at first I did see it just fine (hence why I replied). 

What happened?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Huh weird, this is what I am seeing now... 

Untitled.png.f9c5ee293c875dfe12c611cdb2b58c4a.png

(Had to zoom out to get the whole reply on the screen, hence the bad quality of the text)

I'm surprised though because at first I did see it just fine (hence why I replied). 

What happened?

I'm going with Martians.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

On 6/2/2018 at 6:46 PM, DevonianDigger said:

I'm going with Martians.

What a plague, those Martians, am I right? :DOH:

Perhaps we should teach them a lesson when us Earthians go to Mars in 2024.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Your original photo vanished on my screen but your new screen captures show up just fine. Better than fine. Beautiful work, Jay! Well done!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks everyone! Still working on it. I've been very slow with it because it's such a nice piece. I've also never worked on a Dipleura before, so I have to be careful because I'm not familiar with their layout.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Finally got to this post! Wish I could have made it this year, you guys did a bang up job cleaning out DSR :drool:. I did manage to dig there the weekend before the TFF trip with Gary V. His first time to DSR. The whole site was covered in verglas making just walking up the hill a dangerous proposition. Some blood was sacrificed to the fossil gods after a fall. The clear glaze did bring out the detail in the rock though and many fine prizes surrendered themselves to our collecting buckets. Someone had left a hoe and gloves near that plateau seen in the first pic of this thread. We left it for the owners to claim. Was that still there when you guys got to the site? Also did you see the excellent beaver dam across the street in the valley? Really wish we could have met up with you.

Archived