Mahnmut

Three models, three very different animals, three methods:

Anomalocaris, sculpted in fimo according to fossil drawings, 6 cm long

Hesperornis, digitally distorted from a recent bird skeleton and Tyrannosaurus skull, 3d printed, 9cm long.

Hydrodamalis, skull digitally distorted from a dog skull, postcranial plywood and putty like my whales, 38 cm.

Aloha

J

anomalocaris1.jpg

hesperornis.jpg

hydrodamalis.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks for your kind comments,

yes. I also like the bases, I always keep interesting pieces of wood or bark for that purpose.

Cheers,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 4 weeks later...

Starting on the Desmostylian Palaeoparadoxia.

It appears that a cheap Mammoth skeleton is a good base to be altered to represent a big Desmostylian. (As fits phylogenetic theory)

For the skull I came back to distorting 3d scans, in this case a Hippo. The remarkable similarity seems to be result of convergence rather than a close relation.

As I didn´t find good pictures of other perspectives than the pure lateral view I am quite unsure about the resulting shape.

Anyone who may help with frontal, dorsal or ventral views of the skull and pelvis of Palaeoparadoxia or its relatives would be highly welcome.

Aloha

J

desmo6.jpg

desmo7.jpg

Thomas Henry Huxley

Mahnmut...

Your models are excellent!  I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished!  Just out of curiosity...what/who do you do these for?  Do you sell them?

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Mahnmut...I just found an old article that you may find helpful:

Ijiri, S. and T. Kamei (1961). On the skulls of Desmostylus mirabilis Nagao from South Sakhalin and of Paleoparadoxia tabatai (Tokunaga) from Gifu Prefecture, Japan. (English text begins on page 25 of the pdf file)

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Fruitbat, Thanks for your interest in what I do!

the article really gives me an Idea , and it shows that Neoparadoxia and Palaeoparadoxia are similar enough that I can use a dorsal image of Neoparadoxia that I found on the net.

Of course that is not scientifically correct, but good enough for 1/20 scale models.

And they are even more similar to Hippos than I thought. OK, look at Thylacine and Wolf and you see what convergence can do.

I make the models just for fun, for my own collection. In many I used protected sources for private and educational use only, in others like the Desmo and Thalassocnus I just changed a  bought model. So I have no idea if I even could sell them.

And the ones I made completely took so much time to make that I think no one would want to pay that time.

Maybe I can trade for fossils if someone wants his favorite critter custom built. :)

Over the last two and a half years

I made 7 Cetaceans

"Upgraded" 5 Dinosaurs ,

3.5 marine reptiles

and 1 Sloth,

digitally sculpted Hesperornis, a turtle and the skulls for some of the whales.

Work in progress: Desmo, Duncleosteus, Mola (Sunfish), Walrus, Porpoise.

Most of these in the last six months, since I have lots of time right now ^^.

Aloha

desmo8.JPG

hippo.jpg

todo.jpg

Thomas Henry Huxley

I really love your self-made models, they are much, much better than ones online! Can I suggest a Livyatan melvillei skeleton with a Zygophyseter body plan?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Thanks Macrophyseter!

Livyatan  is an impressive beast. Still it is not top on my list for two reasons:

-Baleen whales and their ancestors are not well represented in my collection at the moment, only Megaptera against all the toothed whales.

And its so big. I promised my girlfriend to make smaller models until I have another room to make them.

So after Palaeoparadoxia I think I will make either Janjucetus or Aetiocetus (I dont use specific epithets on my models because I think they are not acurate enough to show species level in many cases).

I began making a Janjucetus skull some time ago, but I am not quite satisfied with the result.

After looking for Livyatan resources I found this:

https://www.deviantart.com/art/skeletal-reconstruction-Livyatan-melvillei-449024414

I think with the dorsal view I used for my Physeter that should be enough to make one. But it will be some time.

Aloha!

janjucetus.JPG

Thomas Henry Huxley

Palaeoparadoxia:

Starting with a €8 Mammoth-model (similar but slightly nicer than the one in the picture) I shortened and posed the limb bones, lengethened the elbow and calcaneus, changed the shape of the scapulae, shortened the ribs.

Skull is in the printer, pelvis needs some changes, sternum is still missing. Otherwise it wasn´t that much of a change.

The pose is supposed to be somewhere between swimming and bottom-walking.

Aloha

J

P1010743b.jpg

Thomas Henry Huxley

Skull arrived today.

It is about 10% to small, but maybe there are other adjustments to be made anyway.

I have never seen a desmostylian skull for real, so I had to rely on 2d images. 

I anyone sees things to change, please tell me.

Same is true for the skeleton, although I am quite content with how it came out. Sternum and ischiumto follow.

Aloha,

J

P1010764a.jpg

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 1 month later...

Is there no one who can tell me if the Desmo skull is about right?

I´d really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

6 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Maybe @Boesse can tell, but it would help to have some close up pictures of the skull.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 4 months later...

Salty (crocodilus porosus) printed from ct-data.

Another marine tetrapod for my little museum.

In fact the postcranial skeleton is from a juvenile caiman. But again I thin on my scale the difference is acceptable.

Aloha

J

krok1.jpg

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 1 year later...

Ahoi.

This will be my most speculative model yet (apart from the dragon I made 20 years ago)

Kolponomos. When I decided to build one I didn´t know how little there is known about them.

They are apparently somewhere near the ancestry of pinnipeds.

So I think I will make a long flat bear with long hands and feet and slightly reduced hindlimbs.

Hopefully some day we will find out how wrong I was.

Basis for my tinkering will  be the cavebear from Geoworld.

I hope to morph a decent skull for 3d printing.

Best regards,
J

kolponomos4.jpg

Thomas Henry Huxley

On 7/2/2018 at 9:45 AM, Mahnmut said:

I´d really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

J

In comparison to the one I saw at the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History, yours looks to be pretty spot on.

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @Caldigger, the only thing I found out meanwhile was that there should be a deeper cleft between the nasals.

Best Regards,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 1 year later...

Ahoi.

Keeping my threads orderly is not my strong side. Still here comes a marine non whale, completely handmade for a change:

I began to model Archelon from clay right after my first 3 whales and then abandoned it because I could not get the many phalanges right in the material. I recently decided to give it another try after reading the turtle-chapter of "Oceans of Kansas".

The redish and brown parts I modeled from clay some years ago, the black ones are fimo and finished yesterday.

What kind of beachfinds do you think are missing on this upper cretacious beach?

Aloha

J

CIMG4372a.JPG

CIMG4374a.JPG

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 4 weeks later...