6th Trip To Chatsworth: Fun With Friends

MeargleSchmeargl

In the midst of the very eventful day 2 days back, I remembered: 

I helped organize an OA meet to Chatsworth for tommorow!

So I emailed my chapter's adviser and my best friend Barret about Chatsworth, and got together some of the boys together yesterday for an expedition. 

We all met in the parking lot next to our scout hut. We had 3 scouts in attendance: Dylan, Joel and myself. I was honestly surprised that Dylan made it, as he is almost perpetually busy with ROTC. 

Before we even left the parking lot, we saw something cool happen: a pair of owls swooped into the tree right next to us. (can you see them?)

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg.fe7b2dc7bb095e398ea303927c2b868a.jpg

We all rode with my great uncle Frank to the site under my direction. The other guys (including Frank) were incredibly excited as none of them had ever really gone fossil hunting before, so this was a first for them. I was also excited to test out my new hammer & chisels. 

When we arrived, I noticed the tide was against us. The river was higher than ever. That didn't stop us though, and we went right to work.

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.327502d3a2dafb1109abcbf3ab505c63.jpg

(Left to right: Frank, Joel and Dylan diligently cracking open shale to reveal the GA bugs)

We killed multiple hours in our quarries, accompanied by chit chat. By the end of the day, everyone had acquired a sizeable haul. Dylan actually got the best of the trip out of all of us, showing off some beginner's luck. We all climbed back up the hill with our finds in 3 separate boxes, and posed for a group picture:

Cont.

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.fbf4a3bef0e273b3761fe95416f8219d.jpg

(Joel, Dylan and I posing)

Below is my haul, which looked similar to those of my accomplices (aside from the dark center piece, that was Dylan's, as he needed to use 2 boxes).

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.f769a444ca3ea4a1d08bd27dd3372454.jpg

Cont.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Great report and some nice trilos! I am glad thet you had a good time with family and friends!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Good friends are truly a blessing.  Glad to see you out and about.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wonderful fun! 

Good on you, some nice trilos there. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

And here's a collection of the finds this trip:

My favourite hash:

IMG_20180429_154240.thumb.jpg.be935d04f119d945877a7b3fec71ffe3.jpg

IMG_20180429_154512.thumb.jpg.2498c6f3f8a05cf0ef54d4cfac5b512f.jpg

New agnostid (I think):

IMG_20180429_154221.thumb.jpg.d038b8cab3a6b0ff15f946f2bd0e4350.jpg

Not well preserved, but huge Aphelaspis:

IMG_20180429_155041.thumb.jpg.6849555c0f14877a3e15508f595e5a85.jpg

Lovely hash plate. 

And the second photo is surely Barrandagnostus ! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice! Wish we had trilobites here!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

And the rest of my photos can't be put in, even though I know that I compressed them to less than 500 kb. That keeps happening. 

2 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

And the rest of my photos can't be put in, even though I know that I compressed them to less than 500 kb. That keeps happening. 

Try again now, it should work. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Try again now, it should work. 

I did after my first collection post. Even though my phone says the images aren't even 500 kb, when I try to upload one, the image message pops up telling me "no more than 3.95".

23 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

I did after my first collection post. Even though my phone says the images aren't even 500 kb, when I try to upload one, the image message pops up telling me "no more than 3.95".

Sometimes it helps to refresh the page, but You will lose anything in the reply box.

Nice finds.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

I find that when that happens, that closing my thread and then opening it up anew brings results. Nice finds, by the way. Nice to see you getting out and being active.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The picture of you and our friends somehow reminds me of myself and mine, though I think my friends would have more embarrassment in their eyes:D

Glad you had a nice trip with some nice :trilo: and friends!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like you and your buddies had a great day and found some great stuff. Congratulations and thanks for sharing it. By the way, it looks amazing to see leaves on a tree. Hasn't happened yet up here in New York. 

I am glad that you were able to collect. I stopped there Friday afternoon around noon and the Conasauga was running high and fast. The collecting area was totally inaccessible to me and I turned around and left. 

18 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I am glad that you were able to collect. I stopped there Friday afternoon around noon and the Conasauga was running high and fast. The collecting area was totally inaccessible to me and I turned around and left. 

That's the way it was when I went Saturday. Being the determined guy I am, I didn't let the water stop me. ;)

Great finds and great camaraderie. :dinothumb:

Although I could not even think of fossil hunting in sandals! Must be a Chatsworth thing. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Great finds and great camaraderie. :dinothumb:

Although I could not even think of fossil hunting in sandals! Must be a Chatsworth thing. :P 

The sandals were for the water, as it was high when we went, and I couldn't really find any other water shoes. Water was pleasant to the touch. :D