Trilobiting

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way you can make a dinosaur track (or any type of fossil track) pop out a bit more. I'm usually against altering fossils, but what if the track was faint? Is there a way you can make it show a bit more?

p.s. I do not possess any dinosaur tracks, this is just something I've been wondering about.

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

Hi some sellers of dinosaurs tracks hilight them with paint but personally I would not do this. I prefer fossil as natural as possible. I do understand Sometimes fossil tracks are hard to see.

• I found this Informative 6

I think it make lots of sense to improve the view by using a very light sealer, Im not hung up with that.  Just make sure its reversable.  My advice to collectors on matters like this is do what you like not what others prefer so long as you are not damaging the specimen. 

• I found this Informative 5

Thinking out load, but maybe putting something clear but shiny in the middle (perhaps some sort of plastic, one soluble in acetone so it would be reversible depending on the rock type) so that the fossil looks natural but when turned it would reflect the light. Just an idea.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Top tip if you are going to seal or paint . Try it on the back of the fossil first to see how it takes to the rock and if it is possible to remove it. I use a clear top quality Artist Acylic Varnish on some ammonite from Somerset because they are paper thin and flake of easy, the varnish  hold it together also thined down pva works well in sealing a track.

• I found this Informative 1

Maybe just put a little water into the footprint to darken the sunken area so it shows up when you have people round. :D

• I found this Informative 7

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I would use some Paraloid B-72 or the equivalent. It will darken the rock and make it stand out, but is also easily removable with acetone if you want to reverse it. 

• I found this Informative 2