Upper Ordovician, Near Flemingsburg, KY

lotsofpets

Upper Ordovician, Corryville member. Dry Dredgers field trip 4/28/18. Rt. 11, near Flemingsburg, KY.

Vinlandostrophia ponderosa and "Solenopora"

zKN2YkX.jpg SkCxU8W.jpg tozqGBg.jpg saNWz2Q.jpg GXqCh5g.jpg Nkr06xK.jpg mnljPQi.jpg

My shark teeth I won in the annual auction at the Dry Dredgers meeting the night before.

KchR4Qh.jpg

It was a great trip (not sure which one you were, but it was great hunting with you and the others nonetheless).  Also got to meet the famous @Herb.

I couldn't wait and so I already cut and polished one of the "Solenopora" calcareous algae heads last night. Here's the result.

20180428_232558.thumb.jpg.fbb00169d59f2c0f4a47d6411d7b32ba.jpg

18 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

It was a great trip (not sure which one you were, but it was great hunting with you and the others nonetheless).  Also got to meet the famous @Herb.

I couldn't wait and so I already cut and polished one of the "Solenopora" calcareous algae heads last night. Here's the result.

Very, very pretty! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Neat Ordo material! :dinothumb:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

18 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

That’s a very nice idea. Looks beautiful. I wonder if I should do that to my Prismostylus (aka “Tetradium) algaes of Late Ordovician age as well.

21 minutes ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

That’s a very nice idea. Looks beautiful. I wonder if I should do that to my Prismostylus (aka “Tetradium) algaes of Late Ordovician age as well.

Thanks.  I've never tried it on those, but I bet it would work great.  It would facilitate seeing the internal structure as well as afford an opportunity to make an acetate peel.  I may do it on one of mine.

On 4/29/2018 at 4:16 PM, Peat Burns said:

20180428_232558.thumb.jpg.fbb00169d59f2c0f4a47d6411d7b32ba.jpg

I have longish red hair. Unfortunately, I very rarely make it to any of the meetings or field trips, but have been a member of the club for about fourteen years.

I am glad you have the equipment to cut and polish the algae. I would like to do that with one or two of the specimens that I collected, but I don't have the resources.

I'm blushing :rolleyes:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

25 minutes ago, lotsofpets said:

I have longish red hair. Unfortunately, I very rarely make it to any of the meetings or field trips, but have been a member of the club for about fourteen years.

I am glad you have the equipment to cut and polish the algae. I would like to do that with one or two of the specimens that I collected, but I don't have the resources.

Same here.  It's about a 5 hour drive to meetings for me.  It's an outstanding group.  Wish it was closer...

Btw, I use a tile saw and various grits of sandpaper followed by a polishing compound for the cutting and polishing.  Nothing fancy, but it works fantastically. 

That's a lot of brachiopods you have there - well done!!!

Archived