Otodus? Purse State Park Maryland

racerzeke

Hello all,

Braved what seems to be one of the colder and windier days within the last two weeks but I think I might have found my first Otodus! This is from the Aquia formation of the Potomac River, it's a little worn and not in the best of shape but if it's a first I'll take it:

IMG_2943.thumb.JPG.da666a76a09927cd6cd1d97eb978ca71.JPGIMG_2942.thumb.JPG.64b2a6c1cae11d8480c271ce35ad2f50.JPG

Also found this little guy and was thinking Cretolamna sp. but wanted to be certain as I'm just a novice:

IMG_2945.thumb.JPG.91af290e4622714d0e1cb4f63e12cbee.JPGIMG_2944.thumb.JPG.3048dcaa62a2fb0f775b0d9a7175ca21.JPG

Thanks for any and all help! This forum has definitely helped me tons and I've chatted with quite a few members shared some wonderful advice and made it even harder to think about anything else except for hunting! Recently was able to find my first Meg(s) and now hopefully and Otodus! Everything is starting to fall into place and I'm really excited for summer to roll around so I can put my kayak to good use!

The first one does look like Otodus but I will let someone else on the forum who knows more about shark teeth for the ID verification. Second one from a cretolamna sp it's got the compressed root which has a rectangular looking shape. The cusplets have a wide triangular shape. Great finds!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Looks like a Cretalamna appendiculata to me, nice Otodus!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason