High tide + storm = 30 min fossil hunt

Miocene_Mason

I had a short hunt yesterday. At first thought I’d have a while to hunt but had some hold ups, so by the time I got there (5:30ish) I knew I had an hour before sunset. The highest tide was only thirty minutes before so I decided I’d do some more experimental hunting techniques (for me). The beach was mostly submerged and some unusually large and frequent waves made surface hunting hard, so I turned to the boulders and chunks of clay that had fallen from the cliffs. I just turned over rocks and scoured boulders. It’s hard to imagine quite what it looks like when a tooth is under ground till you see it eroding from a boulder in real life. It’s really cool to see the enamel pocking out, Though I’m not quite sure why. Anyway, these teeth come out beautiful because they haven’t been rolled around in. the waves much. That being said, they are more spread out. Finds were limited. Best of the day was a nice Carcharodon hastalis, a smidge over an inch in slant height. Found another large whale jaw piece, same area as previously. Must be a big guy eroding out slowly. One of the cooler finds was seeing a bit of bone popping out of a big ole boulder. I forgot my tools, so I managed to use a sharp stick and some chert rocks to get it out. Looks like the top of a rib, but the process was cooler than the find. 

Side note: I got a question for anyone who may know; in some places the clay is exposed horizontally on the ground (as in there is no sand, but clay as the surface). I saw a few teeth poking out. Perhaps a silly question, b/c I don’t see why not, but are you allowed to take these? I didn’t because I’d rather be safe than sorry. But it does appear to be part of the “toothy layer” (my own name for it) and I’d like to take a closer look at it in the future.

okay, here are my few finds, it’ll take me a sec to get all the pictures in.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Teeth, the (broken) cow shark and Hastalis being the best. Use C. hastalis as scale, one CH unit is a little more than an inch.

C5536833-B002-48D2-B40C-2496C41BB4D1.jpeg

6B35ECA5-E0F6-415C-A49B-01ABF272A641.jpeg

D33BE89A-E3B3-4E8D-BB68-063637B09976.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

First tooth I’d seen in a boulder, though I’d had some teeth with a little matrix on them

AB8F8B8F-9EE8-4812-86F9-15F07428386D.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Boulder bone before and after. Looked for others near it but wasn’t any more associated, though there was a sizable piece of lignite.

BFA54874-ABDC-409F-90CB-D06B2D75AA5B.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

43BDFC8E-9F89-425D-9181-AA466814A5F1.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

990EB79F-5C71-4276-B7DD-6901C01FC0C3.png

A88EFCDC-3403-4039-B97E-AA6ECF929D0B.png

Happy hunting,

Mason

Jaw piece and some other chunkosauruses

3A11A362-CD49-4E7A-B7B4-8CFB3CD4360D.png

Happy hunting,

Mason

Could not take this with me, but I thought it was pretty.

5B8DE08D-B2AD-48FE-8E38-04D94C758087.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

This poor lady bug is dodging death as wave wash I’ve it’s clay block, only nearly missing it. There was a bald eagle flying overhead, my dad said he saw a nest nearby. Good to see them coming back.

1B9DD46A-4BE0-44D4-ADC6-E07A2DEE2476.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

A picture I accidentally took of my feet. As I was taking a picture of an in-situ tooth, I saw my father texting me about all the ships coming in, an oncoming storm, and reports of lightning nearby. I thought at that point it was time to head in. This was at about 6. This was the cause of the waves, and the reason the tide wasn’t as subsided as I expected. There was no rain in the forecast previous to going there

92C0C248-0C99-433A-BAE4-55F240BDF6C7.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Tiny fish vert I somehow saw in a clay block. Sorry for bad pictures, it is extremely small.

03FB0E9A-FEC4-4944-BFA4-B299C98FAD87.jpeg

70A7253D-835E-4DAA-AEA9-BE8AE22B8145.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

That’s it, thanks for reading!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice hunt for a quickie!  Maybe your new system of measurment will catch on and replace that pesky metric system.:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Excellent report and pictures. 

And very glad you found some nice pieces. :)

Shame about the bivalve, that was wonderful. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

10 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Nice hunt for a quickie!  Maybe your new system of measurment will catch on and replace that pesky metric system.:D

Thanks! Beats using a ruler as I am caught in a perpetual cycle of finding and loosing it. I’ll have to use that CH as a scale until I buy some digital calipers.

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Excellent report and pictures. 

And very glad you found some nice pieces. :)

Shame about the bivalve, that was wonderful. 

Thanks! Yeah, a Glycymeris (?) I think, a few nice scallops there as well. They are so fragile and wouldn’t survive the climbing over boulders and logs and such. Luckily, they are relatively common though this one was larger than usual (I also saw a huge clam but it was embedded in the cliff). So this was kinda bitter-sweet (get the pun bivalve folks?)

Happy hunting,

Mason

Somebody told me that just about all smart phones leave a location signature when you take a photo at all these super secret fossil holes.

3 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Somebody told me that just about all smart phones leave a location signature when you take a photo at all these super secret fossil holes.

The tag says Brownies, which I assume means the well known beach. Is Brownies super secret? 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

There are no secrets on the Chesapeake anymore that includes  Fossiling and Fishing lol

image.jpg

Well I guess since there no secrets anymore at Brownies here are some more local finds. Where’s  Waldo

image.jpg

Who needs to find a Meg to have a good day at the beach. When you can find just about anything at Brownies.

My EX claimed I never had any backbones, Well I beg to differ I never show her my Brownies Collection. LOL

image.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.af245eb077e5b33fdafc8237db88288d.jpgShe also said I was hard of hearing and could never find me. That’s because I was at Brownies trying to find a ear bone. 

These specimens were accumulated over many many trips to mostly Brownies. Sharks teeth are just part of the Brownies has to offer.

Archived