Brownies Never disappoints!

Kimi64

I had another great day at Brownies. A bit windy and much cooler than you would expect for late April, but this Spring has been chillier than usual here in Maryland. There was no crowd today, which was very odd, but I am not complaining! Not many big teeth out, but I did manage to find my personal best today, a Mako that measures 5.4 cm. I was so excited about that, that I almost called it a day, but I had only been on the beach for two hours, so I decided to keep going. Then after not much more luck I found what I believe to be a piece of a dolphin jaw. I had a hard time trying to photograph that tonight, so I will try again tomorrow. I also found a nice piece of whale rib, around 7 cm long. I left it in the car, so I will have to photograph it with the jaw. Today was a great day for finding bones. I found a heap of small bones, which I will photograph later. Then toward the end of the day I found the two teeth with cusps. I need to read more about cusped teeth, I am weak in that area. 

One disappointment of the day was watching a father & his son digging in the cliff. They had climbed up a hill of loose material about 15 feet up and we're digging right into the cliff. They were oblivious to not only the rules of the beach, but also their own safety. It  made me sick to watch them. I will update this report tomorrow. 

IMG_20180429_213155.jpg

IMG_20180429_213310.jpg

Glad you had a nice day! :)

Nice teeth, look forward to seeing your other finds. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Congratulations on a nice outing! The cusped teeth are Sandtigers. Nice mako!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice finds for you today and I’m sorry to hear about that hacking in the Cliff that is becoming a very common occurrence at the Cliffs. It is just a matter of time before some is going to get hurt down here and what do you think will happen than. Just the same you had a very good day.

47 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Congratulations on a nice outing! The cusped teeth are Sandtigers. Nice mako!

That is what I thought. Just wanted to look at reference photos before I said so. Thanks!

Glad you had a nice hunt, and found some nice teeth! Can’t wait to see the dolphin jaw!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice Mako! 

I've seen people climb up cliff falls and dig into the cliff there.  One time this guy had excavated a cave big enough that he had his entire body in it, and it was directly underneath an overhanging tree that was already starting to tilt over.  I talked to his wife, who was standing a little way up the beach watching him, and she said he did that all the time and she was reconciled to the idea that eventually he would be killed when the cliff collapsed on him.  I was not so nonchalant, mainly because I know such an incident would be likely to get access to the shore below the cliffs banned for everybody.

Don

52 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Nice Mako! 

I've seen people climb up cliff falls and dig into the cliff there.  One time this guy had excavated a cave big enough that he had his entire body in it, and it was directly underneath an overhanging tree that was already starting to tilt over.  I talked to his wife, who was standing a little way up the beach watching him, and she said he did that all the time and she was reconciled to the idea that eventually he would be killed when the cliff collapsed on him.  I was not so nonchalant, mainly because I know such an incident would be likely to get access to the shore below the cliffs banned for everybody.

Don

Exactly. It was little comfort to me that he told someone that they didn't find anything worth keeping. He endangered himself, his child & our ability to access the fossils. I know when you drive 6-7 hours from home like he did, you want a great return on your investment of time, but his actions were selfish. 

Between him & the guys who walk the beach at night with high powered flashlight, surprised that more injuries are not reported. 

That is quite a mako you have there! 'tis a shame that there are fools that think that digging into a ready-to-fall cliff is a wise idea. 

Who knows, future paleontologists might find a guy like him fossilized in the matrix 10,000 years from now. :P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

3 minutes ago, Kimi64 said:

Here is one side of the possible cetacean jaw. 

Where is it from?

Can not make out the measurement in second picture. How big is it?

Does not look like a cetacean, maybe fish(?)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Where is it from?

Can not make out the measurement in second picture. How big is it?

Does not look like a cetacean, maybe fish(?)

This is all Brownies material. The jaw is approximately 2.54 cm long. 

12 minutes ago, Kimi64 said:

This is all Brownies material. The jaw is approximately 2.54 cm long. 

Oh, I see the Drumfish on Fossilguy's website. Yes, it looks a lot like that. 

Archived