Fossilhound2014

Megalodon skeleton from Peru

Laditz

That is one mean looking fossil plate! But what struck me most is how tiny those vertebrae are compared to the head haha..

Also, the museum mentioned in the link looks pretty cool. Another one for the list if I ever visit Switzerland!

WhodamanHD
10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Gordon Hubbell know nothing about it which is very odd

Somehow that’s the thing that makes it most suspicious.

oilshale

Siber & Siber in Aathal is one of the most renowned mineral and fossil dealers in Europe.

http://www.sauriermuseum.ch/en/home/

Al Dente

Here's a screen shot of the vertebral centra. They don't look like Lamniforme centra unless there was a lot of removal of laminae during the prep process.

megverts.JPG

RJB

Very difficult to believe anything in our modern day society nowadays. 

RB

JarrodB

What a joke. 

Tidgy's Dad

Maybe this is a new species of Meg with a huge head and a teeny body.

Auspex

IMO, the teeth do not look to be a convincing set from the same individual.

belief-o-meter.JPG

Shellseeker
5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Maybe this is a new species of Meg with a huge head and a teeny body.

:hearty-laugh:Great insight. Thanks for the laughter. Jack

Laditz

That will teach me believing everything shown in a museum is instantly "real" haha..

Was already thinking this Megalodon must have had a lot of back problems with these tiny vertebrae and big head.

Does anyone know if someone contacted the museum that this is at the very least a dubious specimen?

By the way: the museum does have a pretty cool virtual tour on their website. Did not see the Megalodon in there though ;)

Troodon
16 minutes ago, Laditz said:

Does anyone know if someone contacted the museum that this is at the very least a dubious specimen

My guess is they know exactly what they have

oilshale

I admit it looks strange.
But again, this is not a small provincial museum. This is one of the best museums in Switzerland and they're professionals. Before we dismiss everything as ridiculous, I would wait until more information is available.

Al Dente
1 hour ago, oilshale said:

I admit it looks strange.
But again, this is not a small provincial museum. This is one of the best museums in Switzerland and they're professionals. Before we dismiss everything as ridiculous, I would wait until more information is available.

I think it’s possible that the centra belong with the teeth if somehow only the tail is preserved and not the rest of the vertebral centra. Centra from the tail would explain the small size and odd shape.

Auspex
3 hours ago, oilshale said:

Before we dismiss everything as ridiculous, I would wait until more information is available.

Your words of patient restraint are wise: there is a potential for our spreading harmful disinformation to many corners of the internet.

That said, I would like to question something that troubles me and begs explanation:

The teeth seem to be a chaotic mishmash of both sizes and positions; practically random. Also, while their preservation seems uniform, there is a random distribution of colors that seems unusual for a group from the same compact site:

~~.jpg

Bone guy

Are there any other megalodon skeleton specimens that this can be compared to?

WhodamanHD
4 hours ago, Bone guy said:

Are there any other megalodon skeleton specimens that this can be compared to?

None near complete that I’ve heard of, though I once heard of a partial Angustidens in New Zealand if memory serves.

Edit: went and did some research, Angustidens was 35 articulates verts, some meg spines have been recorded with around 150 verts. One more than that in Denmark, I only could find one picture and it only had one vertabra in it.