Formation Names: Which do you like the most?

MeargleSchmeargl

As you all are (hopefully) aware at this point, there are countless scores of fossiliferous formations all across the world, each with its own name. What formation's name do you like the most? 

I'd have to go with my home town Conasauga Formation. It has a really nice ring to it (and of course, there's some home-town bias in there :P).

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Hell's Creek is a great name, in my opinion. 

Most apt in a couple of ways. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Now this is what I call a creative topic.

Sounds fun, lets see what shows up. For me personally the Tiaojishan formation (try to say it quick 10 times:P). I love the fossils that come out of this one (especially the insects). Some really weird creatures lived here. 

Just look at it, a Qiyia jurassica. What alien-movie lost his actor?

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor qiyia jurassica

I like whatever formation I'm collecting in from the Aquia in the East to the Hell Creek in the west to the Horseshoe Canyon to the north.  

Just now, Troodon said:

I like whatever formation I'm collecting in from the Aquia in the East to the Hell Creek in the west to the Horseshoe Canyon to the north.  

Which formation name is the best to you? (Like does one sound better to you than another, does one's name have a peculiar ring to it?) ;)

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Hell Creek for me too home of the monsters . Also I don’t know why but I like  the name brown bank.

30 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Which formation name is the best to you? (Like does one sound better to you than another, does one's name have a peculiar ring to it?) ;)

Nope not particular what the name is as long as I can find fossils :D 

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Chuckanut and Chickaloon roll off the tongue rather mellifluously... ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Escondido fm.  In Spanish, Escondido = hidden, which suits me just fine!

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

21 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Actually, I've always thought that the Hungry Hollow Formation was an interesting name.

-Joe

Sadly, they demoted that to Member status, rolling it into the Widder Formation. :( Not sure why as they seem quite distinct. :headscratch:

I've a few "favourites" in terms of names.

Eagle Ford sounds like the name of an action hero.

Goat Island Fm never fails to conjure up in mind an island where the only occupants are... goats.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

Sadly, they demoted that to Member status, rolling it into the Widder Formation. :( Not sure why as they seem quite distinct. :headscratch:

I've a few "favourites" in terms of names.

Eagle Ford sounds like the name of an action hero.

Goat Island Fm never fails to conjure up in mind an island where the only occupants are... goats.

When I first got into fossil collecting as a lad, i got given several pieces which had things like "Marjum Fm" on the labels. 

I still read this as "Marjum Farm" , "Hell Creek Farm" etc. 

So, "Goat Island Farm" conjures up a pretty picture, though i see the goats as being the farmers . :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

When I first got into fossil collecting as a lad, i got given several pieces which had things like "Marjum Fm" on the labels. 

I still read this as "Marjum Farm" , "Hell Creek Farm" etc. 

So, "Goat Island Farm" conjures up a pretty picture, though i see the goats as being the farmers . :D

Where you are, they might call it Goat Arbor... If I'm not mistaken, the goats sit in the trees over there! :D 

It's a unique way of decorating for the holidays. (And now I get why you wear hats :P ). 

01-goats-on-a-tree-in-morocco.jpg

Just now, Kane said:

Where you are, they might call it Goat Arbor... If I'm not mistaken, the goats sit in the trees over there! :D 

01-goats-on-a-tree-in-morocco.jpg

Yup.

This is an Argan tree and the goats climb up to eat the nuts. 

Only this type of tree. 

The nut kernel then passes through the goat and is collected to be pressed and produce the wonderful Argan oil, unique to Morocco and excellent for cooking and for use in cosmetics. 

Lori @GeschWhatmight be interested in this story, though she may be not so interested in fresh poop! :D

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

I quite like the Great Blue Limestone. I bet you can't guess what color it is.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

1 minute ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I quite like the Great Blue Limestone. I bet you can't guess what color it is.

Blue? :P

8 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Blue? :P

Well the Devonian Old Red Sandstone is not always red and not always sandstone. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Well the Devonian Old Red Sandstone is not always red and not always sandstone. ;)

Otherwise known as the Holy Roman Empire Formation. :P 

Fun topic!

My favorite formation for the fossils it yields is definitely the Eem Formation (Eemian, Pleistocene; 120'000 years old), which has lots of really cool bivalves (well, 'cool' in my eyes at least :P)

Otherwise if it's just for the name I'd say that the Choptank Formation sounds nice, and of course Hell Creek is just a fantastic name!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Top three:

Mauch Chunk FM

Kem Kem Beds

Catskill FM (just like the way it sounds, not the killing cats part)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yup.

This is an Argan tree and the goats climb up to eat the nuts. 

Only this type of tree. 

The nut kernel then passes through the goat and is collected to be pressed and produce the wonderful Argan oil, unique to Morocco and excellent for cooking and for use in cosmetics. 

Lori @GeschWhatmight be interested in this story, though she may be not so interested in fresh poop! :D

I had watched a video on these goats a couple years back. I didn't realize they collected the nuts/seeds from the goat scat. How cool is that? It is kind of like civet coffee. I'm always interested in fresh poop (usually from a distance) for comparative purposes. Thanks for tagging me :D