Bone guy's collection

Bone guy

I've been a member of this forum for a few months now, and I just wanted to say thank you to all the members who have helped me learn as much as I can learn about fossils. 80% of my fossil knowledge comes from posts I read on TFF, it is a truly amazing resource! :D I'm exited to show the collection I've amassed so far. To start I have some overview photos of the display. Lighting quality is aweful, but that's just until I get some better lights.

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

Here is Ivan, the Alligator mississippiensis. This was one of the first specimens in my collection. The skin just below his lower jaw shows scaring, which is a sign of being nipped by another gator! Awesome. :P 

IMG_0826.JPG

Here's a Castor canadensis skull. Self found, but it's modern. This is one of 3 skulls I've found, but this is the only one I got around to cleaning. It's amazing how long those front chompers are, they go back about 2.5 inches into the skull!

IMG_0827.JPG

One monster Lobatus gigas. Otherwise known as queen conch. A member here taught me that the crack on the shell was made by a Homo sapien, attempting to reach the meat inside.

IMG_0828.JPG

Odocoileus virginianus (also modern) skull found by me and a group of friends whilst wondering the woods. It's fairly weathered, but a good amount of the teeth are still intact.

IMG_0829.JPG

A gosh darn cool arrowhead. Found this a while ago in a river in New Jersey. The colorations are astonishing.

IMG_0830.JPG

Diplomystus dentatus. This is one of my first bought fossils. The bone quality is great, and the fact that all the tiny bones that were separated from the body are also there is so cool. The separated bones suggests scavenging, possibly by a little crayfish.

IMG_0831.JPG

Credit goes to @caldigger for this one. My first big trilobite that actually looks like a trilobite :D. Elrathia kingii. I've determined that the bits of carapace on the left side of the plate are associated, probably a molted shell that broke apart somehow. Really cool. The little ignostid I have sitting there is also really cool.

IMG_0832.JPG

My first meg tooth! Charcharocles megalodon. It's a nice 4" tooth I got for.......$12! Also made a custom stand for it.

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

First mosasaur tooth. Very small, but the fact it's from a mosasaur is good enough for me. I believe it's platecarpus but y'all are free to correct me on that.

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

Cool little Eurhinodelphis tooth. The root is mostly there and the tooth itself has some nice details. Also, it came from a dolphin with a big nose! :P 

IMG_0843.JPG

Now I THINK this is a flexicalymene trilobite. Im probably wrong, but I've been at this whole fossil thing for only a few months so it's a good guess. The quality is poor but it's a trilobite, cool enough for me.

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

This is one of my current favorites. A drumfish rostrum. Miocene in age, and I have it labeled as Spotail pinfish but that is a major shot in the dark. A really interesting fossil.

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

This is the crown jewel of the collection. His name is Leonardo, the 6" Mioplosus labracoides. From the 18" layer. Just above Leonardo's head is a coprolite...poor guy. :P Love the teeth on this one!

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

This one I'm proud of because it's self found. A cephalon of a Elredgeops rana. The facets of the eyes are the best part.

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

Knightia eocaena. Nice size Knightia at around 4". This one was fun because I was able to further prep one of his pectoral fins. The prepping led to the discovery of a strange "rock out" expression he is showing with his fin. I had to laugh about that.

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

Eusphenopterus indet. My best fern. Small associated branch in the top left corner has some nice detail under magnification. 

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

This is just one of my pieces of petrified wood. Petrified wood interests me because it shows how exact the process of fossilization can be. Even the small annual rings get preserved!

IMG_0857.JPG

This little +/- was original misidentified as a Carboniferous worm, but after some help from the lovely peeps at TFF I found out this is actually poop! Fossilized poop. Likely a carnivorous turd because of a very small bone fragment I can identify.

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

Modern scorpion. He will one day have his eurypterid brother. One day in the very distant future, but the wait is worth it.

IMG_0861.JPG

Pecopteris indet. This has some nice leaf quality. Only a few hundred million years old.

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

I believe this is a Macroneuropteris loschi? Fern leaf. The detail of the veins is exquisite.

IMG_0865.JPG

Archived