Finding a lot of fossil wood this past week. Agates to for carving. The bedrock underneath the gravel at Stillwell Ranch is limestone packed with fossils. Mostly Rudist. Then there are enigma. This stone has the blue infill, I associate with one type of fossil wood preservation. I thought it was a cluster of horn coral initially. But they don't pack up like this. No septa at all. Just finger length long ovals, width of your big toe...........The best detail are the onion layers which are micro crenelated. The end photo seems to have bisected a number of the lobe features. I think they were long and egg shaped un-eroded. With a hollow cavity in the center that was filled with blue & white chalcedony. Chime in if you have a good idear or two of what this is.:

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

4 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Highly eroded mastodon tooth?

Naw- the associated fossils are early cretaceous marine. Then lizard world/ the big logs. Tuskers are a long way down the line.

5 hours ago, Bronto said:

Chime in if you have a good idear or two of what this is.:

Since You said I could have 2 idear,

Maybe a sponge(?)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Liesegang rings ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

28 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Liesegang rings ?

It is on the list of def. possibilities. I haven't seen any with hollow- chalcedony infill. There is a micro frilled gap between each of the outer layers. Thanks for the link.............It might be a sponge- just not any I have seen to date.

Though Liesegang rings are considered a frequent occurrence in sedimentary rocks,[6] rings composed of iron oxide can also occur in permeable igneous and metamorphic rocks that have been chemically weathered.[7]  - Wikipedia

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I have the back and more detail of the same end. With odd structure. I will take some of the opposite end. It has a lot of agate in the mix/ calcite. Desert varnish makes rock look darker than midnight eventually. There are pure iron lumps in the gravel jumbled on top of limestone. So iron is available. Dinosaur bearing sediment sits on top of this. But is eroded away & absent at this location. North of Big Bend National park about a mile. Here are more pics.:IMG_1360.thumb.JPG.aa7924fe90fe46404676332df9f4a35e.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

It has similar structure to Oncolite. I tried to drag up something large- but haven't yet.

The permian material is tiny.

Thanks supertramp. I think we have a winner.

If anyone has detailed information on the larger 80 x 20mm (L x W) size Oncolites? Or can narrow it down a bit more. I will always appreciate the help.

Thanks again, James.

14 hours ago, Bronto said:

Naw- the associated fossils are early cretaceous marine. Then lizard world/ the big logs. Tuskers are a long way down the line.

Yeah was just shootin from the hip...lol

...I'm back.

Archived