Wild boar tusk?

Darko

Hi to all!

I found this wild boar tusk few years ago in a 3,5m deep hole in my garden in village of Svojnovo. I know for sure that on this soil lived few thousand years ago a Vinča culture people.I found so many man made pottery and balls from clay,also some bones.The question is: Is this a fossil or not? I tried with burning and it smells a bit but not so intense.Does exists some other technique how to see is this a real fossil or not? 

IMG-20180430-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20180430-WA0006.jpeg

20180430_202916.jpg

20180430_202909.jpg

This tusk looks relatively modern to me.

I think the "rule" is something should be over 10.000 years old before it is to be called fossilized.

Being mineralised (bone-material replaced by minerals) is something completely different, and that for sure didn't happen to this tusk haha..

I call every bone that doesn't go smelly with the flame-test a fossil, but some might not officially be ;)

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Laditz said:

This tusk looks relatively modern to me.

I think the "rule" is something should be over 10.000 years old before it is to be called fossilized.

Being mineralised (bone-material replaced by minerals) is something completely different, and that for sure didn't happen to this tusk haha..

I call every bone that doesn't go smelly with the flame-test a fossil, but some might not officially be ;)

Thanks

Those artifacts (pottery, clay balls, etc.) and the canine in question, might be of important archaeological interest, especially if they are from the Vinča culture .

I've seen, many times, similar ones from the Parța Neolithic Sanctuary , not far from my place. :)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Those artifacts (pottery, clay balls, etc.) and the canine in question, might be of important archaeological interest, especially if they are from the Vinča culture .

I've seen, many times, similar ones from the Parța Neolithic Sanctuary , not far from my place. :)

Of course they are from Vinča culture. :)

Maybe it's off-topic, but have you a clay ball to make a picture of it and post here? I'm curious how it looks compared to the ones I've seen in situ at Parța. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think you have a lower canine of a pig. The question is if it was domesticated or not, at that time. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe it's off-topic, but have you a clay ball to make a picture of it and post here? I'm curious how it looks compared to the ones I've seen in situ at Parța. :)

Sure

20180430_204911.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for the pictures you made in the late hours.
The color and the shape match the ones I'm familiar with.  There are two types of mud (clay) balls: those with holes in the middle and those without that. Those with holes are supposed were used for fishing nets as ballast, the other ones probably for hunting purposes as sling balls. link

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Thank you for the pictures you made in the late hours.
The color and the shape match the ones I'm familiar with.  There are two types of mud (clay) balls: those with holes in the middle and those without that. Those with holes are supposed were used for fishing nets as ballast, the other ones probably for hunting purposes as sling balls. link

But also i have some type od "disk" ...It has a hole in it as a clay ball...

20180430_204938.jpg

On 5/1/2018 at 10:42 AM, Darko said:

But also i have some type od "disk" ...It has a hole in it as a clay ball...

That is an excellent find. It looks like a round clay spindle whorl, like in the picture from here .

Another possible usage for the flattened circular disks with the hole in the middle was suggested in The excavation of the deer house  - (Fusaiolă - in Romanian), maybe used for the lengthening of the fibers of the loom - as it was stated there.

Similar ones were found in France (more recent than Neolithicum). link

Font_de_Champdamoy_-_archeological_artefacts.thumb.jpg.3a362e47d6a1bbd154796e9f2cabb34b.jpg

It is very important in which of the consecutively deposited sediment levels were the artifacts found. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

28 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

That is an excellent find. It looks like a round clay spindle whorl, like in the picture from here .

Another possible usage for the flattened circular disks with the hole in the middle was suggested in The excavation of the deer house  - (Fusaiolă - in Romanian), maybe used for the lengthening of the fibers of the loom - as it was stated there.

Similar ones were found in France (more recent than Neolithicum). link

Font_de_Champdamoy_-_archeological_artefacts.thumb.jpg.3a362e47d6a1bbd154796e9f2cabb34b.jpg

It is very important in which of the consecutively deposited sediment levels were the artifacts found. :)

Hmm i see,i see...Well,my grandfather found all of the balls,disks,figurines and pottery when he dig a hole for the well..That was 30 years ago...Now it's common for me to find pottery or maybe some pieces with some lines and circles at the top of the soil. :)

4 years ago when we dig a hole for a sewer in my mother's village,we found clay balls,melted iron chunks and animals bones..In that time i didn't knew anything about it,that's the time where i have found the famous boar tusk :) Hole was deep 3,5m x 3,5m in width,so in that level we found all of that stuff :)...Also brick colour at the bottom where has been melted iron found and some balls. @abyssunder

Those might be from different historic times.

The most intriguing piece is the silex, yours and mine. I'm wondering how could that be in the Neolithicum. Probably the transition between the Paleolithicum and Neolithicum was slow having a support for legacy. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

59 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Those might be from different historic times.

The most intriguing piece is the silex, yours and mine. I'm wondering how could that be in the Neolithicum. Probably the transition between the Paleolithicum and Neolithicum was slow having a support for legacy. :)

I think so too :)