April 30, 2018 Peace River trip

Sacha

This year has not been a particularly productive one for me as far as fossil hunting goes, but sometimes in an entire day one screenful makes the difference. I found this really pretty little tooth in the last spot I tried, sure I was just sifting discards from the other hundred guys before me. It's not big, but it is really a pretty little thing. No roots, but nobody's perfect!

IMG_4393.thumb.jpg.fd5b2a56241833443049e2a520af2812.jpg

IMG_4394.thumb.jpg.b1d51ef338758c41206ede9c07f2ad52.jpg

I'll be back to this spot later this week just to confirm this was a fluke and my luck hasn't changed for the better.

Loph City, baby!

That's a gorgeous Mastodon crown; congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sweet find John, still looking for a good one myself :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Despite the missing root, the crown is in fantastic condition! Well done!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Very nice, John.  Don't stop now...

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

I can't believe some one would toss that!!!

You Foridians must be pretty spoiled. :envy:

Thanks guys. Finding this gives me hope for the next few weeks of the season.

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

You Foridians must be pretty spoiled. :envy:

We definitely are Doren, but you Californians aren't so bad off either!

That crown is to die for! Score! :mammoth:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Definitely a "crowning achievement"! Great find!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Way to go John, I am so pleased that the river gods smiled on you, I could dance a jig. :megdance::megdance::raindance::raindance:now for a period of unadulterated good luck!!!

fantastic find, jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Awesome find, John! I am quite envious of those of you folk who get to play in the Peace River. I am quite fond of the material from the site, as you're aware! Happy hunting, and best of luck for the coming season!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Magnificent! :)

And that's the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Way to go John, I am so pleased that the river gods smiled on you, I could dance a jig. :megdance::megdance::raindance::raindance:now for a period of unadulterated good luck!!!

fantastic find, jack

I'm loading the truck to travel back to that hole tomorrow Jack. If I post again on my return, you'll know the jig did the trick. If I just shuffle off, you'll know why.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I appreciate it.

Been busy with other things but just caught wind of this now.

Jeepers! What a beauty!

I'm glad your fossil hunting "dry spell" has been doused with this find. You can really see from the hairline cracks in that crown why this molars disarticulate into a handful of individual lophs (and from there fragment into nearly indiscernible enamel chips). A whole mastodon molar (root or not) is still high on my bucket list. I had some luck in one of my favorite spots with chunky gravel last time I was out but still have not crossed mastodon tooth off my Peace River bucket list.

Though the fossil deposits can sometimes be entirely random in the Peace River, here's hoping that that find leads you to some even more spectacular items in the surrounding area. Fingers crossed here (though it makes my typing even more awful than normal). :fingerscrossed:

Cheers.

-Ken

Me and my brother rowed past you in a canoe that day and did ok ourselves (no mastodons though! Lol). Great job man! 

6 minutes ago, RCFL said:

Me and my brother rowed past you in a canoe that day and did ok ourselves (no mastodons though! Lol). Great job man! 

I think that was the time before. Didn't see anyone on this day, but I remember you guys coming through the mine field. I think you were heading for a spot I really like because of the big gravel, but never really pans out for me the way I think it should. Can you show us what you got from up there?

On 5/4/2018 at 7:22 AM, Sacha said:

I think that was the time before. Didn't see anyone on this day, but I remember you guys coming through the mine field. I think you were heading for a spot I really like because of the big gravel, but never really pans out for me the way I think it should. Can you show us what you got from up there?

Luck dog! I haven't been out too much this year but hopefully I'll get out again this week. Our hunting window is coming to an end in the not too distant future.

Here are a few pics of my best finds, I just haven't had the time to write up a report. The best of the day was the taper jaw with broken teeth still in it and we hit a nice patch of megs. Most were beat up but I'm not complaining... great day on the river. My brother got a few horse teeth, a few megs and a big cool croc ostoderm which for whatever reason is a rare find for us 

IMG_1223_zpsfkczamib.jpg

IMG_1225_zps7oijbgnt.jpg

IMG_1224_zps71mwk06g.jpg

IMG_1226_zpsequjdkfm.jpg

Archived