Another fossil for ID! This time, I think that I have some possible orthocone nautiloids from the Billings Shale. I found these near a small construction site near my house. Although I suspect them to be cephalopods, they may also be Hylothids. Or, they could be something else entirely! I am not an expert on these faunas at the moment, so I may be wrong. Each photo is of a different specimen. Thanks in advance! More posts about the regional science fair are to follow.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

34 minutes ago, Kane said:

Nautiloid.

Great! I was hoping they would turn out to be nautiloids. One more question. Some of these, especially the last two, seem to be shorter and squatter than the partial ones I usually find from the Billings shale. Does this mean anything? If so, does it indicate that they might be juveniles or a different species?

I would probably go with Geisonoceras sp. although I think they have since changed that genus name. Perhaps @FossilDAWG knows more on that front...

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

+1 for orthos all around. The hyoliths are generally pretty wide and short, and are generally quite smooth with show no signs of "banding" like the orthocones have for their chambers.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA