Moving Segmented Ammonite Fossil

bighaireddave

Hello

I have had this fossil for around 25 years, I have spoken to various people including dealers and a professor who say there is no such thing as a moving fossil, but when they see it they are amazed. It is hard to explain, but i would say it has to be described as an interlinking segmented ammonite. It has 12 segments (it is obviously only a small part of what it once was). It basically looks like vertabrae.

post-2110-1250354408_thumb.jpg

I have uploaded some more pics for you to have a look at, like i said it is hard to explain without actually holding the fossil, each segment moves.

Any information on this would be greatfully appreciated

Many thanks dave

post-2110-1250354925_thumb.jpg

I have uploaded some more pics for you to have a look at, like i said it is hard to explain without actually holding the fossil, each segment moves.

Any information on this would be greatfully appreciated

Many thanks dave

post-2110-1250355027_thumb.jpg

this is definately an ammonite section. and i think i can explain the moving parts. typically, when you see an ammonite it is composed of the original shell that has been changed into arragonite or calcite. (some of them have original shell material remaining) you specimen on the other hand is lacking all of the thin shell material, and is just casts of the complex internal chambers. due to the complexity of the suture teh chambers are interlocked with a small amount of space between them where the shell has disolved away. the small space allows for minimal movement without them coming apart.

i have never seen this before but it would be very interesting to hold and look at in person.

Brock

Now that is just about too cool!

Don't go anywhere 'til tracer has a chance to see it!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon
Hello

I have had this fossil for around 25 years, I have spoken to various people including dealers and a professor who say there is no such thing as a moving fossil, but when they see it they are amazed. It is hard to explain, but i would say it has to be described as an interlinking segmented ammonite. It has 12 segments (it is obviously only a small part of what it once was). It basically looks like vertabrae.

You say you've never seen moving segmented fossils? I guess you've never driven through Florida (or Delaware for that matter) :rolleyes:

this is definately an ammonite section. and i think i can explain the moving parts. typically, when you see an ammonite it is composed of the original shell that has been changed into arragonite or calcite. (some of them have original shell material remaining) you specimen on the other hand is lacking all of the thin shell material, and is just casts of the complex internal chambers. due to the complexity of the suture teh chambers are interlocked with a small amount of space between them where the shell has disolved away. the small space allows for minimal movement without them coming apart.

i have never seen this before but it would be very interesting to hold and look at in person.

Brock

Perfect explanation! Five stars! :applause:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/