Is this a real Megaldon Tooth?

Hello,

I in no way know a lot about fossils so I’m not sure if this is authentic or not. I purchased it from a local crystal shop. Super cheap and they had a lot of other Megalodon teeth to choose from.

Anyway would appreciate some input.

Thanks

50168550-DAC2-4339-855D-75C556693F5A.jpeg

It is most likely real but this is not a Megalodon, in fact the color suggest that it is from Morocco. I am no expert on prehistoric sharks but I would say this is a worn Otodus Obliquus. If you have any other questions  regarding the authenticity of a fossil feel free to ask TFF:).

Regards, indominus rex 

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

4 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

It is most likely real but this is not a Megalodon, in fact the color suggest that it is from Morocco. I am no expert on prehistoric sharks but I would say this is a worn Otodus Obliquus. If you have any other questions  regarding the authenticity of a fossil feel free to ask TFF:).

Regards, indominus rex 

My apolgies for the assuming this was a meg, like a said I know nothing about fossils :hearty-laugh:

I agree it most likely is a Otodus Obliquus as it does look very similar.

Thank you very much.

They do have Megs in Morroco, however, this isn't one of them. A great grandfather perhaps.

What size is the tooth. Early megatoothed sharks can be found in Western Sahara like caldigger mentioned

A very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco MarieJoy. :)

It looks like a worn Otodus obliquus from the phosphate mines at Khourigba, Morocco to me. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hello and Welcome to the Forum!!  My experience is quite limited but if I understand correctly, megs do not have secondary cusps.  I agree with statements above - looks very similar to Otodus obliquus.  Worn but awesome!!  :trex:

Archived