Pliosaur vertebra

DatFossilBoy

Hey everyone.

Saw this vertebra online labelled as a Pliosaur vertebra.

I heard pliosaur is quite rare and valuable so maybe this could be a good deal.

What do you think? 

It is from Gloucester UK.

also from the Upper Triassic (Rhaetian)

Thanks for suggestions! (Not sure if I will be able to respond quickly to this post but I will do it ASAP. :) ) 

AD8768AC-A904-4C7D-A9D8-5E2DEC0C02D6.jpeg

3EF86DA4-AF50-4BEC-B51A-FFEA7C4795BC.jpeg

874AEBE2-509B-4AF3-84C1-20836C4D2C08.jpeg

918098D5-7E7D-4B28-9DE5-C2AC65E00CCF.jpeg

Did he provide an location of formation? And just curious but how much is it going for? If it’s under $120 I’d go for it.

Edit: Found the listing. If I were you, I’d make an offer to him as he’s got a high shipping price.

Edited by BonuFrailman
Info
  • I found this Informative 2

I strongly doubt there were Rhaetian pliosaurs… Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that Pliosauridae diverged from Plesiosauria in the Early Jurassic. 

My guess would be that the vertebra is from a basal plesiosaur. Any Triassic plesiosaur material is rather rare (when compared to material from the Jurassic and Cretaceous), I'd advise you to make sure that the specimen is authentic.

Hope this helped!

Christian.

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist
  • I found this Informative 2

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

There are no known pliosauroidea from the Triassic, only from the Jurassic and Cretaceous. Rhaetian means probably plesiosaur or ichthyosaur, but I don't know the other fauna of this location. 

Nice vert, for a nice price I would take it.

• I found this Informative 1

@gigantoraptor @DatFossilBoy If you guys want, I can send you by email some literature on the Rhaetian fauna from southern England; I've got quite a few papers.

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Not sure if this is relevant, but other sauropterygians were alive at the time, though I’d have no idea what their vertebrae look like.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD  There were other Triassic sauropterygians (for instance, nothosaurs), though their vertebrae are somewhat different to the one illustrated above.

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Could it be an elasmosaur ?

Mike

@Mike from North Queensland Based on the morphology of the neural spine, I consider that it is a cervical vertebra. However, elasmosaurid cervicals don't look like that.

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks guys for the help!

Not pliosaur then.

Kind regards.