holdinghistory

New Amber Photography Setup

holdinghistory

A while back I had posted asking about amber photography. Well, after a lot of research, and some expensive upgrades, I finally figured out a good setup. I am using a Cannon Rebel, with a 200mm lens, a few adapters, and infinity objective lens. The whole setup is mounted to an automated stacking rail and connected to my computer. I will usually take 100-250 photos per inclusion, and then stack them with a stacking software (Zerene Stacker). The end result depends a lot on the quality of the inclusion itself, as well as the clarity and shape of the amber piece, and the position of the inclusion inside it. But with a good piece of amber, I am extremely pleased with the results.Setup.thumb.jpg.a9c1c5feeef895d04a97f338497379d0.jpgCamera.thumb.jpg.c2ad3fc1d79094b0719368d9d0417b32.jpg

holdinghistory

Some of my favorite photos.

4-26.jpg

75.jpg

111.jpg

1004.jpg

holdinghistory

a19.jpg

BM414.jpg

BM430.jpg

BM433.jpg

holdinghistory

BM451.jpg

BM475.jpg

holdinghistory

Some neat inclusions. First up, a midge with water droplets on the wings.

BM524.thumb.jpg.1e211c060c115846262a64e9b5849bb5.jpg

Not the easiest one to photograph, but it is a spider attacking a fly.

AA1-9.thumb.jpg.31aa304b5bfbcfa6b4ea0dac8ff345cc.jpg

Last one, a seed with spider web strands attached to it.

Webbing.thumb.jpg.2407bd035dc906025e186bfe942c1500.jpg

Darktooth

Absolutely stunning pics!

snolly50

Outstanding! I do not understand the lens/attachment set-up. Please provide more information on those components; as well as camera settings (assuming you do not deem them proprietary).  

Kane

Wow. I have to say that I’m almost wanting to buy the pictures as opposed to the fossils! These are phenomenal.

DevonianDigger

Great... Now I have to buy even more gear...:doh!:

Tidgy's Dad

Utterly incredible photos! :)

Thanks for sharing, really so beautiful. 

holdinghistory
2 hours ago, Kane said:

Wow. I have to say that I’m almost wanting to buy the pictures as opposed to the fossils! These are phenomenal.

Maybe I should start making posters then :D.

3 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Outstanding! I do not understand the lens/attachment set-up. Please provide more information on those components; as well as camera settings (assuming you do not deem them proprietary).  

It will vary a little bit depending on the lens and camera you are using. Basically, you need an adapter for the lens to the camera, and for the microscope objective to the lens. Camera settings are for me just trial and error, finding what works. Depends on the light you are using and the overall setup. The lighting is most important, since a well lit piece is relatively easy to adjust the settings for. 

3 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Great... Now I have to buy even more gear...:doh!:

I hear you, seems like there is no end to the gizmos and gadgets that come in handy! Between photography and prep.... The lenses and adapters are not too bad for cost (I have several different ones that I use depending on the piece, maybe a couple hundred bucks total), but the software and rail gets pricey.

snolly50
11 minutes ago, holdinghistory said:

It will vary a little bit depending on the lens and camera you are using. Basically, you need an adapter for the lens to the camera, and for the microscope objective to the lens. Camera settings are for me just trial and error, finding what works. Depends on the light you are using and the overall setup. The lighting is most important, since a well lit piece is relatively easy to adjust the settings for. 

Thanks, I was unaware of the existence of microscope objective to camera lens adapters. I was able to quickly find more info after your prompt. Thanks again, great images.

GeschWhat

All I can say is WOW! Amazing photos! Thank you for sharing your process and the photos themselves.

abyssunder

Outstanding! Congrats for the images! :)