Carcharodontosaurus tooth repair

holdinghistory

Had a Carch tooth come in the mail recently that got pretty banged up in the case. I was a little alarmed when I first looked at it, but there were even more small pieces when I opened up the case. A little patience, a few toothpicks, and a bit of PaleoBond and it is not looking so bad though!

One thing I have found useful in gluing small pieces back together is that if you get a toothpick a little damp on one side, it will temporarily stick to the piece you are trying to glue. Makes it a lot easier than trying to get it in place with your fingers. Another thing, be really careful with your fingers and glue. I have *almost* glued my fingers to teeth I was fixing a number of times. It is easy to do working with small pieces. 

Tooth before.jpg

Great job! :)

One can barely notice. 

The world's postal services are not much cop at the moment, it seems.

I've glued my fingers to my teeth before now. 

And the ash tray to the table.

And the rubbish bits of rock to the bin. 

And the bin to the floor. 

And wrecked some curtains. 

Easily done. ;)

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, holdinghistory said:

Another thing, be really careful with your fingers and glue. I have *almost* glued my fingers to teeth I was fixing a number of times. It is easy to do working with small pieces. 

You sound like a dentist I once knew.  I think he graduated at the bottom of his class.

:hearty-laugh:

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Great job! :)

One can barely notice. 

The world's postal services are not much cop at the moment, it seems.

It has a lot to do with the way it was packaged as well.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

55 minutes ago, caldigger said:

When I buy fossil from our favourite auction site unless I know the seller I email instructions of how I would  like the fossil packed .  I then need to apologise for been patronising and disclaim that it is better than leaving negative feedback on a damaged fossil. It does work.

@holdinghistory great repaire you have some skills.

@Tidgy's Dad only pritt-stick for you my friend.

• I found this Informative 3

Well done!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

At least if it arrived in a Riker mount, you know you've got all the pieces.

Very nice repair! 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you! I think with shipping in a mount there are too many microvibrations. 

Unfortunately to many people ship in riker cases thinking its safe and never protect the specimen.  If you think about it here is a big fragile tooth banging against the glass of the riker.   Happens more than you think.   You just need to put some padding between the glass and tooth, a piece of paper towel will do.

Nice repair job.

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Unfortunately to many people ship in riker cases thinking its safe and never protect the specimen.  If you think about it here is a big fragile tooth banging against the glass of the riker.   Happens more than you think.   You just need to put some padding between the glass and tooth, a piece of paper towel will do.

Nice repair job.

I purchased a very rare and expensive tooth a few years ago from a very reputable dealer with many years of service and that's how he sent me the tooth. In a riker case with no protection between the tooth and the glass. It arrived broken in many pieces. I couldn't believe that's the way he sent me the tooth. I immediately called him to let him know and he kind of copped an attitude saying he had always sent teeth out that way and had never had a problem. Since then, every time I purchase a tooth, I ask the seller to please do exactly what you said Frank and I've never had another problem.

Great repair job by the way. If I had tried that, it would have looked like a Frankenstein tooth :-) 

• I found this Informative 2

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

I think it has more to do with packing and almost nothing to do with the gorillas that sort packages at the post office!

14 hours ago, holdinghistory said:

Had a Carch tooth come in the mail recently that got pretty banged up in the case. I was a little alarmed when I first looked at it, but there were even more small pieces when I opened up the case. A little patience, a few toothpicks, and a bit of PaleoBond and it is not looking so bad though!

One thing I have found useful in gluing small pieces back together is that if you get a toothpick a little damp on one side, it will temporarily stick to the piece you are trying to glue. Makes it a lot easier than trying to get it in place with your fingers. Another thing, be really careful with your fingers and glue. I have *almost* glued my fingers to teeth I was fixing a number of times. It is easy to do working with small pieces. 

Nice fix-it job.  I use a small paintbrush and my mouth to do what you are doing with a toothpick.   Also if you use cyanoacrylate (superglue) to glue things, you can put a drop onto a piece of cardboard and scratch it with a sharp dental pick and get a wee (smaller than a drop) amount of glue and not over-glue things.  Use the cardboard that comes on the back of a pad of paper or a cereal box, not corrugated cardboard.  I do this all the time for puny glue jobs and it works.  

• I found this Informative 1