Draconiusultamius

I've had some of these fossils for years now, but reading this thread made me doubt the authenticity of some of them.  The first is an unidentified fish fossil I purchaed from a small shop in drumheller claiming to sell fossils.  From what I remember, the woman selling the fossils was worried that I was going to break one of the fossils and kept staring at me like a hawk. The mosasaur and pavlovia fossils were from a shop in Banff, which is really popular for purchasing fossils and the papers are supposedly certificates of authenticity.  I trust the source, but I did read a thread about fake mosasaur teeth and the 'pavlovia fossil' (not sure if ID is correct or if that was for an entirely different fossil.  I don't keep my papers with my fossils because my fossil display is cluttered without them.  It's possible that this is the fossil I purchased from some metaphysical store in Toronto.) was inexpensive for such a fascinating specimen ($10-20 Canadian, if I remember correctly).  The trilobite was my first largish fossil and it was purchased from a store in Jasper.  The lady at the store was somewhat knowledgeable about the specimen, so I think it's probably authentic.

image.jpg

Judging by your pictures, the top one may be Knightia eocaena.  Pics of the others individually would help.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

All your fossils are genuine. No fakes here. These are fairly common items found at almost all fossil selling establishments.

Alright, thanks.  So should I beware only if I end up buying more valuable, rare fossils online?  I have seen a few fossils in the past which I would absolutely love to have (giant dragonfly wings, hallucigenia, and other invertebrates, especially insects, millipedes, and centipedes are my main weakness)

@Kane thanks for the ID, I will probably start new threads to ID the others (when I feel like it) as it's off topic here.

Yes you should definitely be wary when buying valuable fossils online. Especially many fakes come from Morocco and China. If there's a fossil you're looking to buy but aren't sure if it's completely real, don't hesitate to post the photos on this forum and ask for a second opinion. We're always glad to help with ID.

But yeah, these fossils you showed here are real.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yes, you did get your labels mixed up on that "Pavlovia". What you have there is a rather common oyster, possibly an Arctostrea.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

image.jpg.477e5d64dbe25c881d2b2729a08d8eb0.jpg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I really like the Asaphiscus trilobite! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice little collection fossils there. I do like your oyster. :envy:

On 5/2/2018 at 2:07 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

I really like the Asaphiscus trilobite! :)

Meeee toooo!  :blink:

Archived