BasilTheBulgarSlayer

Hello, my friend has given me this Keichosaur he has convinced himself is fake. Is it? I know this fossil has quite the reputation. He purchased it from a store in Tennessee.  

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

Fake or real, better up-close photos will help. If this is a fake, the quality of details is really poor. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Actually, I am not sure how he reached his conclusion. He bought it from the store in Tennessee for a certain amount. When he found out what it was he panicked and sold it too me for 1/2 the original amount.

Sorry my pictures aren't better, I took some other ones.

IMG_0717.thumb.JPG.3bef2d0767ec4385a6967830f135d2f3.JPG  IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

Don't think it's fake, just very poor prep job on it.  If one was to fake one of these, they wouldn't make it look so bad...what would be the point?

It actually looks like it has a fair amount of erosion on it to begin with.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Is baby Keich.

Really bad prep job.

Matrix looks ok so far.

Cannot tell something about Keich itself, because photos are too blurry.

It's probably fine. The panicked hysteria about these being fakes is unjustified, as I've said about a million times in this forum.

Well, in my opinion the amount of faked Keichs are increasing after import-ban - what is the logical effect of it, so far.

On the other hand the fakes are usually more or less obvious, if you take a closer look to the object.

A close look is always needed...

As others have said, I believe this is a real Keich. It seems to just be poorly prepped with detail and smaller bones being eroded away.

Thank you guys for the help, sorry again about the blurry pictures. Thanks!

He overpaid  a bit for a baby keich! :o

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I think it is a genuine baby Keichousaurus.  As others said, it's poorly prepped, probably acid washed and then roughly polished.  Good baby Keichousaurus is not common as it's common sense that the delicate baby skeletons are more difficult to be preserved than an adult skeleton.

On ‎03‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 2:28 AM, Crazyhen said:

I think it is a genuine baby Keichousaurus.  As others said, it's poorly prepped, probably acid washed and then roughly polished.  Good baby Keichousaurus is not common as it's common sense that the delicate baby skeletons are more difficult to be preserved than an adult skeleton.

yep, baby keich is not very common - so good pieces may be a little bit more expensive :D

Archived