Wowbnjijdat

Is it a real dinosaur egg?

Wowbnjijdat

Hi guys,

I found this egg and it looks good in my opinion. I know there isn't a lot of eggshell but the price is reasonable. There is one mayor red flag, it is from Malaysia. Probably smuggled from China

Is it real? And how do you classify it, the seller states it is Therizinosaur. But as far I know, you don't classify eggs on specie level and there isn't found allot of material of the Therizinosaur aswel.

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

I'm no expert but that doesn't look like eggshell to me, the wrong texture. 

Not the right cracking, either. 

I think this is a layered concretion. 

Auspex

Aside from the suggestive shape and layering, no fossil egg features are present.

And what's with all the white on it?

Wowbnjijdat

Looks similar as this one, but with (more) eggshell  (from the same reseller). 

Auspex

Somehow, the white on "yours" looks artificial...almost like it was sprayed on.

If the price is low enough, it might make an interesting conversation piece, I suppose.

LordTrilobite

I'm definitely not an expert. But I see no red flags on this.

Troodon

This is the type of egg I would like to hold considering the source.  I'm on the real side of the fence on this one.

@HamptonsDoc

@-Andy-

Dracorex_hogwartsia

It looks very real to me. If it was professionally cleaned to bring out the eggshell it may not look to bad.

WhodamanHD

Looks almost like an internal mold. Strange. Depending on the price, your money might be better spent on going for a better example.

Wowbnjijdat
12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Looks almost like an internal mold. Strange. Depending on the price, your money might be better spent on going for a better example.

What makes you think it could be a mold? For me the red sediment parts seems curieus, where the eggshell should be. It laks texture and color difference. The white color looks okay to me, similiair of eggshell from Argentina.

Anyway opinions differentiate... Nobody has experience with the eggs of this reseller from Malaysia? 

Wowbnjijdat

another egg of the same reseller aswel with a fair bit of eggshell

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Wowbnjijdat

another one with eggshell. The morphology is weird as if a piece is reattached (the first photo). What do you think of these eggs guys? When you think it is real, from what dinosaur genus can it be?

s-l1600-10.jpg

s-l1600-11.jpg

s-l1600-12.jpg

s-l1600-13.jpg

s-l1600-14.jpg

s-l1600-15.jpg

s-l1600-16.jpg

s-l1600-17.jpg

s-l1600-18.jpg

s-l1600-19.jpg

Wowbnjijdat

This Hadrosaur eggs from the same reseller are obviously fakes, right? 

s-l1600-21.jpg

WhodamanHD
1 hour ago, Wowbnjijdat said:

What makes you think it could be a mold? For me the red sediment parts seems curieus, where the eggshell should be. It laks texture and color difference. The white color looks okay to me, similiair of eggshell from Argentina.

Anyway opinions differentiate... Nobody has experience with the eggs of this reseller from Malaysia? 

It’s just looks so wierd but yet somehow real. Perhaps the lack of texture is due to it being a mold, and the strange color and patterns it to infillinf of the space inbetween by minerals like calcite. Just a guess.

Wowbnjijdat

The member of the following post has an egg from the seller I suppose. Maybe we can finally conclude if they are real or not. When they are real, will you still advise not buying from him? The common real eggs are so expensive in comparison with this seller which makes it really attractive..

Troodon

You've read the comments,  the decision is yours.   

Wowbnjijdat

When we can't solve the mystery if they are definitely real or not, I will not buy from te seller of course. Or do I misunderstand and is it anyway not possible to be 100% certain? :P 

Wowbnjijdat
3 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Think of it this way- I live in New York. When I proposed to my wife I went to Tiffany on 5th Avenue to buy her engagement ring and paid a premium for their reputation and service. The extra money I paid made me feel confident that the diamond I bought was what they were telling me. I could have easily went several blocks away to the diamond district to a no name jeweler and purchased a diamond with the same specifications for a lot less money but I didn’t. I personally need to feel confident and trust the person I am buying something from if it is not something that I am an expert on. I’m weary of people who are known to sell fakes and scam people. The choice is personal. The first eggs here probably are ok but I need to feel confident to have pride in my collection.

I will wait for more trustful dealers, thanks everybody!

-Andy-

I am with @HamptonsDoc on this.

The single "Therizinosaurus" eggs are real. I can see eggshell material on the surface, and they match the look of other genuine eggs I've seen. The double hadrosaur eggs are most definitely fake.

Edited by Fossildude19
seller indictment removed

JohnJ
On 5/3/2018 at 7:04 PM, Auspex said:

.... Since we cannot afford to defend ourselves against even a frivolous libel suite, parsing the guilt, innocence, or circumstances of dealing with the seller is a path we avoid on the public boards. To combat fraud, we should instead educate our readers on the pitfalls, but keep the discussion about the pluses and negatives of the specimen. :)

Well said, Chas.  We ask that members please keep this in mind in the future.

Troodon

Very hard to avoid this in this instance since the seller in this discussion is part of the answer but I agree in principle and should focus on the fossil.