Is it a real dinosaur egg?

Wowbnjijdat

Hi guys,

I found this egg and it looks good in my opinion. I know there isn't a lot of eggshell but the price is reasonable. There is one mayor red flag, it is from Malaysia. Probably smuggled from China

Is it real? And how do you classify it, the seller states it is Therizinosaur. But as far I know, you don't classify eggs on specie level and there isn't found allot of material of the Therizinosaur aswel.

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I'm no expert but that doesn't look like eggshell to me, the wrong texture. 

Not the right cracking, either. 

I think this is a layered concretion. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Aside from the suggestive shape and layering, no fossil egg features are present.

And what's with all the white on it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks similar as this one, but with (more) eggshell  (from the same reseller). 

Somehow, the white on "yours" looks artificial...almost like it was sprayed on.

If the price is low enough, it might make an interesting conversation piece, I suppose.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I'm definitely not an expert. But I see no red flags on this.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

It looks very real to me. If it was professionally cleaned to bring out the eggshell it may not look to bad.

Looks almost like an internal mold. Strange. Depending on the price, your money might be better spent on going for a better example.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Looks almost like an internal mold. Strange. Depending on the price, your money might be better spent on going for a better example.

What makes you think it could be a mold? For me the red sediment parts seems curieus, where the eggshell should be. It laks texture and color difference. The white color looks okay to me, similiair of eggshell from Argentina.

Anyway opinions differentiate... Nobody has experience with the eggs of this reseller from Malaysia? 

another egg of the same reseller aswel with a fair bit of eggshell

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

another one with eggshell. The morphology is weird as if a piece is reattached (the first photo). What do you think of these eggs guys? When you think it is real, from what dinosaur genus can it be?

s-l1600-10.jpg

s-l1600-11.jpg

s-l1600-12.jpg

s-l1600-13.jpg

s-l1600-14.jpg

s-l1600-15.jpg

s-l1600-16.jpg

s-l1600-17.jpg

s-l1600-18.jpg

s-l1600-19.jpg

This Hadrosaur eggs from the same reseller are obviously fakes, right? 

s-l1600-21.jpg

1 hour ago, Wowbnjijdat said:

What makes you think it could be a mold? For me the red sediment parts seems curieus, where the eggshell should be. It laks texture and color difference. The white color looks okay to me, similiair of eggshell from Argentina.

Anyway opinions differentiate... Nobody has experience with the eggs of this reseller from Malaysia? 

It’s just looks so wierd but yet somehow real. Perhaps the lack of texture is due to it being a mold, and the strange color and patterns it to infillinf of the space inbetween by minerals like calcite. Just a guess.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The first three eggs you posted are difficult to tell. I lean towards them all being real BUT they are being sold by the largest purveyor of fake eggs on the internet so with that I would pass and never consider anything from that seller. If I had an egg from him I would always question it’s authenticity. 

The pair is definitely a known fake. They were mass produced and sold for a while online. There may be some real shell glued onto matrix but not an authentic egg. There was a great article I posted a few years ago about fake eggs and it had that exact type in it as an example but recently the moderators of this site removed it. The article was in the Tucson 2016 EZ Guide if you can find a copy online. 

I agree with HamptonsDoc.   I believe the new eggs shown are real other than the pair but like I said before would want to hold them to ensure they are real.  .

The member of the following post has an egg from the seller I suppose. Maybe we can finally conclude if they are real or not. When they are real, will you still advise not buying from him? The common real eggs are so expensive in comparison with this seller which makes it really attractive..

When we can't solve the mystery if they are definitely real or not, I will not buy from te seller of course. Or do I misunderstand and is it anyway not possible to be 100% certain? :P 

Think of it this way- I live in New York. When I proposed to my wife I went to Tiffany on 5th Avenue to buy her engagement ring and paid a premium for their reputation and service. The extra money I paid made me feel confident that the diamond I bought was what they were telling me. I could have easily went several blocks away to the diamond district to a no name jeweler and purchased a diamond with the same specifications for a lot less money but I didn’t. I personally need to feel confident and trust the person I am buying something from if it is not something that I am an expert on. I’m weary of people who are known to sell fakes and scam people. The choice is personal. The first eggs here probably are ok but I need to feel confident to have pride in my collection.

3 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Think of it this way- I live in New York. When I proposed to my wife I went to Tiffany on 5th Avenue to buy her engagement ring and paid a premium for their reputation and service. The extra money I paid made me feel confident that the diamond I bought was what they were telling me. I could have easily went several blocks away to the diamond district to a no name jeweler and purchased a diamond with the same specifications for a lot less money but I didn’t. I personally need to feel confident and trust the person I am buying something from if it is not something that I am an expert on. I’m weary of people who are known to sell fakes and scam people. The choice is personal. The first eggs here probably are ok but I need to feel confident to have pride in my collection.

I will wait for more trustful dealers, thanks everybody!

Well done all!

Fraud is a very emotional issue, especially to the victim and their friends. Since we cannot afford to defend ourselves against even a frivolous libel suite, parsing the guilt, innocence, or circumstances of dealing with the seller is a path we avoid on the public boards. To combat fraud, we should instead educate our readers on the pitfalls, but keep the discussion about the pluses and negatives of the specimen. :)

I am with @HamptonsDoc on this.

The single "Therizinosaurus" eggs are real. I can see eggshell material on the surface, and they match the look of other genuine eggs I've seen. The double hadrosaur eggs are most definitely fake.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 5/3/2018 at 7:04 PM, Auspex said:

.... Since we cannot afford to defend ourselves against even a frivolous libel suite, parsing the guilt, innocence, or circumstances of dealing with the seller is a path we avoid on the public boards. To combat fraud, we should instead educate our readers on the pitfalls, but keep the discussion about the pluses and negatives of the specimen. :)

Well said, Chas.  We ask that members please keep this in mind in the future.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very hard to avoid this in this instance since the seller in this discussion is part of the answer but I agree in principle and should focus on the fossil.

Archived