LLBau

Fossil ID (Coral?)

LLBau

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting on any kind of fossil forum, and I was wondering if someone could help me ID something that was given to me years ago. 

Unfortunately I have pretty limited information, but a friend found this while motorcycling from Sturgis, SD back to Ohio. I think he said he found it along the road while still in SD, but it’s been so long I’m not sure. 

It’s 6.5in length and weighs about 3lbs. When tapped it almost has a ceramic sound in some places. The angle of this pic is looking down through the tubes (some of which you can see straight through). Some tubes are larger but most are 1/16in in diameter. A side angle would show that most of them are straight and run in the same direction, kind of like a bundle of straws. On the insides of the larger tubes, the walls are lined with even smaller tubes. 

I’ve been able to find one other pic of something similar (from northern Texas), but it was also unidentified. I thought it looked like coral or maybe even worms of some sort, but I don’t know much. Maybe it’s not even a fossil!

45E9265E-0F27-46B5-B97A-891B5DB447AD.jpeg

Kane

Neat piece. It looks like serpullid tubes. 

fll-0847.jpg

Innocentx

The smaller tubes look like syringopora.

Innocentx

@abyssunder. Is this a photo of tufa rock containing fossils, or are the tubes a feature of this type rock?

doushantuo

Sanfillipo et al:

bobwillposglomospirillhemieegordfftrey22m353plwillist.jpg

LLBau

That is very cool - I have never heard of tufa before. Thank you to everyone for your help! 

D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Yes it is calcitic worm tubes, probably serpulid. :) 

I think they should be cenozoic in age.