A Brazilian Fish

Miocene_Mason

I have this fossil fish, no location attached (other than green river which I think is wrong) but I am fairly confident it is from a Cretaceous formation of Brazil. Any idea on species? Any info much appreciated.

5 inches long, about an inch and a fourth wide at widest.

gonna take a second to get the pictures in

A0312F0E-0498-4EE2-85B9-F1C7ABE32BEF.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Top of head

A0E5FE88-3B01-41BF-B51F-34EC1789691C.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Rest of body

ABE7E444-CDE8-4DA9-97F9-14B75361E998.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

08285B89-4333-45CB-9097-21F87D859B12.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

D2FAB965-3F85-4417-A43C-69805C1DF39A.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

That’s all the pictures, thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like a Rhacolepis buccalis from the Santana Formation.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree, ...  It is a Rhacolepis buccalis from the Cretaceous Santana Formation. 

Yours looks like it is prepped in a ventral position. 

Not bad, Mason.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Looks like a Rhacolepis buccalis from the Santana Formation.

That’s a match! Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I agree, ...  It is a Rhacolepis buccalis from the Cretaceous Santana Formation. 

Yours looks like it is prepped in a ventral position. 

Not bad, Mason.  :) 

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice pickup Brazilian material is always a super addition to a collection

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice fish! :)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Nice pickup Brazilian material is always a super addition to a collection

Thanks! I have had this a while, went super cheap, probably because the seller thought it was from the green river. I told him before I bought it that it was from Brazil and he offered an even lower price!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived