sixgill pete

How to get your item ID'd (New Members Please Read)

sixgill pete

I should also add about the photo's. Make sure you take pictures from all angles and all sides. This is very important. Getting as many of the diagnostic features of an item photographed  is crucial.

Herb

lots of good advice

Darktooth

Well said my Fossil brothers!

Max-fossils

:dinothumb::dinothumb::dinothumb:

Bobby Rico

Great advice Tim :dinothumb:

Joe Salande

Thanks for the advice. That's good for a newbie like me to here.

Joe

Roberta NJ CA

Hi and thanks for the info! My question is my camera broke... Does using an iPhone (6) have the capability to capture  the tiny details of an item and if so are there any special settings or filters to use?  also, is there a way to automatically set my phone for setting the appropriate size while photographing?   Any additional apps that you can recommend would be greatly appreciated - I know this information is somewhere here, but can't seem to locate it (iPhone unsavvy)!  Sorry if this is a redundant question...

Thanks for any advice,

Roberta

Kane

Hi Roberta,

The iPhone should have sufficient megapixel count to capture most details. The camera app that comes natively to the whole line of i-products has some built-in features such as pinch zoom, and light/exposure (just tap the screen to see the adjustable slider: it looks like a sun). The photos app (where the photos are kept) also has some additional editing features for light, exposure, contrast, shadow, black/whitepoint, saturation, and cropping. In terms of taking better macro shots, Camera+ does give a slight boost to the features. When taking pictures, you can tap anywhere on the screen to activate the automatic light levels (tapping on the dark object against a lighter background will even them out so as to increase the lighting on the dark object).

DPS Ammonite

Use lots of light and get as close as possible to the subject. You also can use a lens in front of the iPhone camera lens. 

Ms Michal

I'm so excited to find this forum OMG wowzer. I have been hunting the net for months for help. I have been trying so hard. You see I sit in an area once under water in Central Texas. I found Hematite took months to ID it. What started as a prospecting for pieces to make jewelry has turned into lots of amazing finds. Some are Hematite and others are a mix of minerals and rocks of all kinds. I even have a piece that appears to be a carved artifact of a hunter. Saddly I can't verify where in Texas some of them came from cause I found them on a county road. I don't know how to find the quarry they came from nor how deep they were. The Hematite I know where it came from on the land I live on. So at least that part will be easy. Thank you thank you thank you for any niblet of info you can give me. If you say it's a paper weight I will believe you cause I'm so over my head.

Goody

Thanks for the helpful details! I'm a total novice, so every bit of info is great!:thumbsu: