Looking for blue fossil wood

Boomtree

Hey all. I'm looking for some fossil wood that is a dark blue. Something similar to the color of lapis. Most of the blue forest wood I've looked at is more black than blue. Does anyone have any suggestions?

26 minutes ago, Boomtree said:

Hey all. I'm looking for some fossil wood that is a dark blue. Something similar to the color of lapis. Most of the blue forest wood I've looked at is more black than blue. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Saw way back when a discussion of Wyoming blue pet wood. Here is the link. 

• I found this Informative 1

I have never seen or heard of blue petrified wood that was actually a true blue color, let alone the color of lapis.

PS The color of the "blue forest" is in reference to the color of the agate found with the petrified wood of that location.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

There are some copper-bearing petrified woods that contain azurite (and malachite), which can locally produce a dark blue color in the wood. However, microstructurally this wood is rather poorly preserved.

• I found this Informative 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.

I just realised you may want to search for "Colla wood", which is found in Turkey. This type of petrified wood has reasonable wood structure and can have dark blue in colorations due to mineralization by azurite (in addition to chrysocolla and malachite, which produce aqua and greenish colours).

• I found this Informative 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 6:44 PM, ynot said:

I have never seen or heard of blue petrified wood that was actually a true blue color, let alone the color of lapis.

PS The color of the "blue forest" is in reference to the color of the agate found with the petrified wood of that location.

Hi Tony,

I once saw some small pieces of light blue (almost gray) petrified wood from around Opal, near Kemmerer, Wyoming.  I've never seen any dark blue stuff. 

Jess

• 1 year later...

Still looking? May I post links?

Edited by Kane
Removed seller link

2 hours ago, xshanex said:

Still looking? May I post links?

Not to online sellers. If you have a recommendation, those are best made over private message to the member. ;)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer