Tennessee Lady Finds 475-million-year-old Trilobite

Oxytropidoceras

1 hour ago, Oxytropidoceras said:

I sent one of the links to one of my granddaughters to encourage her interest in fossils. Thank you for posting this! It encourages me as well!

From the WAVY story: 

To get confirmation, her family reached out to Colin Sumrall, an associate professor of paleobiology at the University of Tennessee. 

"It's actually fairly unusual for someone to find a fossil," said Sumrall.

Really dude? Really?

• I found this Informative 3

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Too bad the newspapers didn’t interview someone from TFF, perhaps like our current MOTM, @caldigger, to get our take on it.  Not sure a 475 million year old trilobite is that unusual, but the story could serve as an inspiration for young people.  And of course we would want to encourage them to join TFF.

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/4/2018 at 10:04 AM, Shamalama said:

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave.

When I was in geology field camp in Colorado decades ago, the last week was a week long field trip and final project in western Colorado. While caravaaning on the first day, I was in the second van and everyone else and I noticed the lead van would occasionally lurch and weave noticably. Inevitably, a law officer pull over noticed such behavior and pull over the lead van. We waited behind them as there was a long discussion and the driver, a well respected professor, was let go without a ticket. Later, just before bedtime, a couple of other people and I from the second van cornered a person from the lead van well away from the tents. We found out that the lurching and weaving happened because the professor was talking about the geology of the roadcuts and landforms that they were passing.

Recently, I had the opposite experience with another geologist. He gave a lunch talk on his vacation  trip to New Zealand and went on endlessly about the Lord of Ring sets that he and wife visited. However, I cringed and held my tongue when he breeze through a series pictures of roadcuts showing classic examples of New Zealand loess and loess paleosol and other examples of deep sea flysch as just "some rocks." 

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/4/2018 at 11:04 AM, Shamalama said:

From the WAVY story: 

Really dude? Really?

This article informs readers that there were more than 600 species of trilobites.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:34 PM, Oxytropidoceras said:

When I was in geology field camp in Colorado decades ago, the last week was a week long field trip and final project in western Colorado. While caravaaning on the first day, I was in the second van and everyone else and I noticed the lead van would occasionally lurch and weave noticably. Inevitably, a law officer pull over noticed such behavior and pull over the lead van. We waited behind them as there was a long discussion and the driver, a well respected professor, was let go without a ticket. Later, just before bedtime, a couple of other people and I from the second van cornered a person from the lead van well away from the tents. We found out that the lurching and weaving happened because the professor was talking about the geology of the roadcuts and landforms that they were passing.

That's Awesome!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

It's kind of sad to see this in the news, honestly.
Trilobites are not as rare as the news puts them, and 475 MYO ones at that.
Enrolled Flexicalymene retrorsa are quite common in my area.

My brother found one when he was eleven- and it was roughly just as old (from the Ordovician of Tennessee).
Why wasn't he in the news? Fox just wanted to report something to keep the news going.

I cannot even see the trilobite in their headline photograph. 

I hate to criticize- but this news article is 0% science and 100% bluff. They did not even mention a species!
(The scientific name which I believe to be I. gigas, based off of a photo from another source)

However, I hope the young girl is inspired to join the forum one day. ^_^